Anyone 10 yr post op out there?

insideout
on 9/3/21 11:16 am

thank you so much for sharing. needing to hear from others just like me. As I can never compare myself to regular people for that I will never be. This surgery is for life and...Me for one forgot the key word For Life. Yes just fell off and stop my vitamins and caltrate 600+D3 B-12 sublingual. Along with eating the food I was not suppose to. So now I'm 30lbs over. Boohoo for me can't blame anyone else. I'm trying very hard to get back on track. weighting in at 159lbs my height is 5'3. Used to wear a comfortable size 6 now a days size 10 & maybe 12. So thank you I needed word like yours!

sweetpotato1959
on 9/8/21 8:43 am

Insideout,

I have never been anything smaller than a 16. i am 5'4"..I was way too close to 300 when i began my journey... I never had any flab removed and really needing it done.(. that would probably put me to the size 12) I do not expect it to ever happen... it is not as important as i get older.Going thru additional pain is not important.

You need to center on health now.. get your protein intake up and your carb intake low.. get in your supplements in.

Do not forget the magnesium, K2, Vitamin C,Zinc.If you have ever had trouble with anemia get a separate well absorbed iron.. something like an organic desiccated liver-that can be taken away from calcium, magnesium and other MVI.

Check your MVI make sure it has adequate copper,( the one i get has 200%) selenium and iodine. These are necessary for vascular, and immune health and a heartbeat.

Remember after surgery we no longer absorb anything at 100% of ingested. This is especially true of commercial vitamins.calcium and Magnesium must be in balance/available for absorption. K2 is important for moving the minerals where they are necessary from blood vessels into bones and teeth.Brittle bones and teeth is no party.!

If have not had labs in a while get a baseline. make sure you get zinc, D3,iron, iron binding,standard labs,+ ..any special labs for thyroid, or hormonal changes

. If you have not done so before get actual hand/paper copies of your last labs and hard copies of your current ones, so you can compare to watch your beginning trends.. iron in normal but inching down? mag levels at low normal? . These can be addressed before critical with dietary and supplement tweaks.takeing a liver capsule is easier and cheaper than iron infusions and epsom salt foot baths can correct low levels of magnesium that can escalate heart arrhythmia. Consider chiropractic evaluation for cervical spine if any arrhythmia develops. c-5-6 out- can produce a fib.. (did in me.)

insideout
on 9/9/21 2:01 pm

I have a friend that had RNY also right after myself she was close to 300lbs. I am so proud of her she is 5'2 and now weights in about 125lbs and she eats so much. I think she eats like the KETOS says to. I can't do it I don't eat a lot but I eat junk food and sweets for a quick pick me up and then hate myself for doing it. I'm working & thinking about my 30lbs I need to lose.

samsander
on 1/3/22 11:04 pm - CA
I think Caltrate is Calcium Carbonate, which we do not and never will absorb well.

You need to take Calcium Citrate like Citracal.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/21 12:01 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I love this but can't relate so much .

I'd just find an aspiring boyfriend 20 years younger and kind of let him climb m ....yes 2 dinner on his dime of course , free work on my place of course ...if he really earns it and turns m on .... mebbe a very temporary place on the air mattress lol :)

men luv *****es ... never forget that ! :)

And the most powerful grrrl is th fat grrrl w confidence! So true !

sweetpotato1959
on 9/8/21 8:09 am

Veggiewoman,

Wondering if you missed the point?

The exercise with the mirror IS about one's OWN perception of self- .This is about living in the present and accepting YOUR own self as You are NOW..... Not the perception of others.

The best benefit of this is self perception of our changes in our body, and abilities. Psychological benefits occur as a result of the change in perception as no longer seeing our selves as the fat boy or fat girl in the picture.

This helps for those who are having issues finding clothes in the stores..going to clothing sizes that are 6 or sizes too large...

There are always those who will cut us down, having a good self worth, self awareness and being able to look n the mirror and face ourselves daily. In doing this, we cease to be the object of others and look within for our own approval of the changes we have worked so hard for.

insideout
on 9/9/21 2:08 pm, edited 9/9/21 7:11 am

No matter what mirror I look at I still see myself fat and always have even when I was wearing a size 4. I really don't care what others see or think of me never have. I have to feel good about myself and no one else matters in that area. And right now I don't like myself I have lost the person I use to see so I'll try not to look in any mirror!

sweetpotato1959
on 9/9/21 4:21 pm

wHEN YOU AVOID a thing you give IT control. Use it as a tool to learn to visualize yourself as YOU WERE, and where you are now AND where you DESIRE to be, When you get to that place..knowing you are here and were able to obtain goal, it makes it so much more rewarding than living life as if you are 10 sizes above your actual. .

When We were obese , we had no toolbox and no control , YOUR surgery restored the physical control ,

Afterward is time to accept yourself as you go into YOUR butterfly mode, what ever that weight /shape s for YOU> Please look at the exercise as a mental tool to assist you with your perception of SELF. If you know of something else that may help others this blog/site would be the place to post it,

Denise
insideout
on 9/9/21 2:10 pm

There's a saying that a girl's cookie can pull a train sometimes 3! Lol

sweetpotato1959
on 9/3/21 8:03 pm

Please make sure you get your trace minerals.. iodine, copper(low copper in women is one cause of CVA),magnesium are all necessary for a heart beat . to keep it regular it must be in sufficient quantities.

Being aware of your body and its responses can save a lot of pain and distress.( two examples)..I had an arrhythmia develop.( no energy, exhausted) I found i had a vertebrae out of alignment in my cervical spine.. I did some gentle movements with pressure relieved on spine, and it popped back into place..my arrhythmia has not returned.. When my resting /am heartbeat dropped to 35( that was resting but after 4 mugs of coffee.) I was able to trace it to iodine deficiency. Sea Kelp is a wonderful thing.! I was back to my prior rate in 4 days-w/ supplementals.

Be careful to get the citrate forms of calcium and magnesium for best utilization. Get your vitamins well ahead of time.keep a supply on hand..so they are readily available. this will be esp important as there are laws being written now to make all supplementation prescription only.There was one to go into effect 1/22 i have not heard if it was in the final bill that was too big to read, and would need to be passed to know what was in it.

Look up the symptoms for a low level of each one../(nutrient that you may be low in... get a good MVI if possible to cover most with a minimum of 100%- remember we will not absorb all of what is there.!. ) Keep on an index card with your vitamins-/symptoms of low or high levels,so you can review and check for changes (you might notice before PCP would find without labs)..

Rationale:.Part of gastric surgeries effectiveness is changing the way we process food from beginning to the end. This also affects vital nutrient levels. To be aware of changes and the quicker you can correct ANY deficiency the less impact it will have on your life as you age

.IF Nutritionals ARE low it WIll impact you at some point...Things to watch for.. my short list is.... low level cramping, increased bruising , blood vessel integrity changes, increased varicosities, changes in color of skin around mouth and eyes...(pale or cyanotic?)or sudden changes in energy or stamini..

Most people get enough calcium..magnesium is more often low,... remember there other ways to tip our low magnesium levels up without pills...ie magnesium body oil and epsom salt foot bath are two ways to tip the level up without gastric upset.....balancing them is critical. K2(mineral mover) is very hard to get adequate levels.Sodium and potassium must be consumed in similar amounts... yes it's in most foods...keeping it available balanced in our diet makes it easier for our body to regulate it properly.

Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics