THC question

blm2020
on 5/21/22 11:57 am

So, I am not a habitual THC user. I only use edibles every so often for stress. I got the call to schedule surgery Wednesday, and have surgery officially scheduled for June 2 with preop anesthesia testing (including a nicotine and drug test) this Tuesday. It dawned on me I used a delta-8 gummy last weekend and now I'm freaking out a little. Any one have experience with this? I'm worried I won't pass and that surgery will be canceled. I have been upfront with my surgeon about my occasional use, and they didn't seem concerned with it when I discussed with them a couple of months ago during my first appointment. I am still worried, and have sent a message to the office, however with it being the weekend I won't hear anything until Monday. Help?

Teenie
on 5/23/22 12:18 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

As long as you have a medical script you should have no problem

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

sue9999
on 5/24/22 8:56 am
RNY on 02/08/21

Most drug testing for THC is the delta-9 metabolite and not delta-8 so your gummy wouldn't be picked up in a routine drug screen.

HW 243 SW 208 GW 125 CW 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/1/22 1:25 pm

Unfortunately that is false statement. I sometimes use D* and since it is TTHC, D8 THC, when drug tested, it shows as THC.

That's why its important to know that. D8 is legal on a federal level in most USA states, but as far as I know regular Drug testing cant distinguish between THC D8 or THC D9 from MJ.

The company I work for do drug testing and hemp D8, or MJ or Hemp D9 - show as the same metabolites in urine

What does delta-8 show up as on drug test? THC metabolites can and do show up on a drug test after you have used delta-8. Delta-8 may not have effects as strong as delta-9 THC, but it still needs to be used with considerable caution. Besides, regarding a drug test, both delta-8 and delta-9 are more than likely to show up on one. Feb 27, 2022

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sue9999
on 6/1/22 3:18 pm
RNY on 02/08/21

This has become a somewhat complicated issue. My career was in Forensic Toxicology. Drug screen positives are "presumptive" only and must be confirmed by an alternate test form - usually by GC-Mass Spec (GC/MS). The confirmation testing will rule out Delta-8 unless it had been specifically requested to be tested for and a positive THC screen from delta-8 would then be negative on confirmation testing. So unless your state or employer specifically has all positive THC results tested for delta-8, the confirmation test would be negative. With preemployment testing or other testing with legal consequences, it is required that a confirmation test be done before it ever goes to the Medical Review Officer (MRO). Unless delta-8 is illegal in your state, even if a specimen were tested and confirmed for it (if it isn't illegal, then I can't imagine why it would even be included), the result cannot be used to refuse a person employment. But, in fact, the MRO would never see any positive delta-8-THC result in legal states since there is no legal consequence to take any delta-8 product. However, if you manufacture, then you are breaking the law at the federal level. States are slowly looking at these products and some have outlawed delta-8 products.

From NCDI: While delta-8 products have not been classified as illegal at the federal level, the actual manufacture of delta-8 probably violates federal law.

From Quest Diagnostics: Thus, a presumptive test for a person who has used a delta-8 product (which may be legal in the state where he or she resides) may give a false positive for delta-9-THC. The two metabolites also have the same molecular weight and very similar chemical properties, meaning delta-8-THCA can interfere with detection of delta-9-THCA, leading to a false negative on definitive testing.

I hope that clarifies my previous comments.

Sue

HW 243 SW 208 GW 125 CW 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/22 3:32 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate the detailed explanation. Who knows, it may help me one day. Or help one of my employees.

Very informative. I wish that in some states the alterative testing were available and free to the potential employees.

We are looking for employees, but most temp-to hire employment agencies, their workman comp insurance won't allow them to hire anyone who test positive for any THC.

BTW: I manage a small business, and I oversee a lot of issues, including business insurance.

It's good to know the information you provided in case one of my employee get injured and the insurance would refuse to cover their medical expenses.

I personally don't care if someone uses D8, or even MJ occasionally, when off work, as long as they don't come to work "stoned" (drank, etc.) or use while on the company property.

Unfortunately the metabolites can stay in the system for a few days to a few weeks.

I get drug tested sometimes by my PM doc, but he knows sometimes I take a small amount of D8 when I can't sleep and he doesn't care if my drug test show any THC metabolites.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sor09
on 6/21/22 7:28 am

Not sure if you already had your pre-operation bariatric blood panel, yup it's different than a standard blood test. It does measure everything. Not sure your concentrations of whatever is but they will see it all. It is about being safe and healthy for the operation. They might ask you to do a stress test too. If you have done one, you know. It is a serious selective operation. Always remember, this is a selective and serious operation and they are making sure you are in the best health for so. Be careful and be safe.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/22 9:11 am

I had my WLS over 14 years ago...

My PM doc need to do drug tests for me.

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/22 7:54 am

If the use is legal in your state and you've mentioned it to your doctor, you probably won't have any problems.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 336 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics