Swallowing bigger pills again?

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/23 9:55 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

Hey all, I wish the search function worked as I'm sure this has been discussed!

I currently cut my Nexium in half although I could probably have no issues with it but I'm a safety first kinda lad haha but I bought a Stomach enzyme tablet from our best Bariatric place in Australia that they say helps with food tolerance (we shall see) but it's fairly big! It's a vegetable capsule so I'm sure it's fine but I'm only 6 weeks out.

When did you find pills and tablets easier to handle? especially larger ones? (maybe you never found it easier?)

Partlypollyanna
on 3/3/23 2:19 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I was released from chewable vitamins to regular (large pill) ones about 16 weeks (the same time as I finished my food progressions). Never had any issues.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/23 3:18 am
RNY on 01/24/23

Thanks for sharing!

catwoman7
on 3/3/23 6:24 am
RNY on 06/03/15

our clinic told the classes that we'd have to crush pills for the first month or so, but when I pressed the PA in a 1:1 appointment with him, he said usually pills that are the size of a pencil eraser or smaller can be swallowed by most people. All except for two of mine fit that category, so I swallowed them whole as soon as I got home from the hospital. No issues.

The two bigger ones were one of those horse-pill-sized calcium tablets, and something else that escapes me at the moment. I got some calcium chews to take instead of the calcium pills (at least at first), and the PA told me that as far as the other large pill went, it was fine to skip it for a couple of weeks - at which time I could probably manage to swallow it whole (although that wouldn't be the case if whatever pill you're taking is something that's critical to take every day - like a diabetes med, for example...). So I stopped taking it for two weeks and then tried swallowing it whole. I was able to do it just fine!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 3/3/23 6:30 am - Warren, OH

I take iron pills that are too big for me to swallow with water. I use a spoon of no-sugar added applesauce to take them or to take any big pill. The trick to searching this site is to use Google, type obesityhelp and then type your search words and press enter.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/23 1:55 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

Thanks for sharing that search trick!

DerrickOlley
on 3/9/23 9:35 am

I think you need to test different approaches under the supervision of a doctor! It's like drawing step by step getting better! I also gradually go to the goal and achieve results!

alaskasusan
on 3/10/23 10:32 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Great question! I had a very successful RNY TEN years ago....big capsules aren't so bad but hard pills can make me gag, even small zinc tablets. Sigh. I try really hard to stay on top of vits and protein, especially since I work out very hard at home and gym. 67 now and a fit, slim 145...but so far I just keep looking for alternates cuz capsules are easiest. Still feels like I take vitamins all day long....but worth it! Good luck to you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views