Extended release medication

ipray
on 1/25/24 8:44 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello, I am about nine years out from sleeve surgery and I can't remember if I can take extended release medications like Paxil extended release? (Sorry I had to post here, not much happening on the sleeve forum). Thanks!

Sheila_H
on 1/25/24 9:14 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

A quick google search resulted in a no.
link

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

califsleevin
on 1/25/24 11:02 am - CA

Ideally, check with your surgeon's office, even if it has been some years. Generally, the sleeve doesn't have a big impact on ER meds like the malabsorbing procedures do, though it is possible depending upon how the extended release works. If it depends on breaking down in the stomach over time, then it may not work well with the sleeve with its frequently more rapid transit times. Most from what I have seen break down as they travel through the intestines, in which case the sleeve is irrelevant. Check with the manufacturer's online info on the drug or talk to a pharmacist, as they will know about it's ER mechanism.

The link referenced above is a somewhat confused thing, mixing legacy bypass advice with the sleeve, though they do mention that the sleeve and band are not as sensitive to these issues. Overall, that article is very general and pretty old school - it doesn't give me much confidence in that practice. Google is not always your friend on such things, and one often has to dig a bit deeper to establish more of a consensus.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

ipray
on 1/25/24 11:30 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you so much! I had my sleeve done in Baltimore and then I moved to Florida, so didn't keep up with my Bariatric doctor and have forgotten some of the things that I learned from the doctor, classes and nutritionist. I guess I should really knuckle down and visit a Bariatric doctor here to see if anything has been changed/updated since I had mine done. Many thanks!

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 1/25/24 11:03 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Just seconding Sheila's feedback. The meds will pass through too quickly to do any good. Hope you're doing well otherwise!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

ipray
on 1/25/24 11:24 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you! It has been awhile and I couldn't remember why I could do one and not the other.

wendygail
on 1/29/24 5:25 am - Live Oak, FL
When I had my RNY 17 years ago, it was a firm no, for extended-release medication. Now, with that being said, I am on an extended-release blood pressure medication. My cardiologist knows I had weight loss surgery as well as my primary care Dr. We keep a close eye on my bp. My bp is stable. Talk with your WLS office and your DR that has prescribed the Paxil and see what they have to say.
 It's a great day to be alive.        
Most Active
Recent Topics