bomoni727’s Posts

bomoni727
on 7/27/11 8:59 am
Topic: RE: APPROVED!!!!
 Today I got the call from the surgeon's office that I have been approved.  I was so shocked when they called because my information was just submitted yesterday!!!  Now the next obstable that I have is to get to the dentist right away and get the dental work done that the surgeon has demanded before I can get a surgery date.  I have posted on here before about the surgeon's requirement to fix teeth necessary for chewing before he will do the surgery.  I am highly motivated to get this done asap.  I have fought long and hard to get to this day and will not let anything stop me now.  This will be quite an expense for me, but my dentist assures me that the work will be done before the end of August.  It has been very helpful for me to come on here and read and learn and I will continue to come here for your wisdom and support before and after my surgery has been performed.  Thanks again.

Monica
bomoni727
on 7/22/11 12:35 pm
Topic: RE: The Wait Begins
 Hello All,
This journey has finally brought me to the ultimate wait in my life.  No pun intended:)  I have jumped through every hoop, attended my six months with my nutritionist, and done everything that I've been asked to do.  My info has been submitted to Blue Cross  Blue Shield of Minnesota so now the wait begins for approval.  I am trying to keep positive but I know that each passing day will be nerves on top of nerves.  Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated.  I would like to know what it was like for you while you waited for approval and what I should be doing to continue to prepare myself for this life changing event that is about to happen.  If all goes well, I will be looking at a surgery date of somewhere near the end of August or early September.
bomoni727
on 7/10/11 2:45 am
Topic: RE: Surgeon Issue
 aanmarie, can you tell me more about this flipper.  Not sure I know what that is.  thanks.
bomoni727
on 7/10/11 2:10 am
 Yes, I am missing molars on both sides.  I do chew very well because of them missing to make sure that I am practicing chewing longer in anticipation of surgery.  I would not be seeking implants for the reason that you stated that it can be a lengthy process.  A partial would work.  I just don't have money for that right now, and even with a partial it's going to be very expensive.  I realize that good dental hygeine is very important.  I get that.  He just in my view needs to be a little bit flexible with this and right now he is not willing to be flexible.  Wish I had known this before I picked him.
bomoni727
on 7/10/11 1:53 am
 Hello All,
I am really seeking your advice on this one.  So as not to ramble one and one, here it is in a nutshell.  I have one more appt. with nutritionist before info can be submitted to insurance for approval.  Everything else has been done and ready to go.  The surgeon is going to refuse my surgery if I don't have teeeth done on at least one side on the bottom missing molars.  He is known to be very strict about teeth moreso than other surgeons.  I'm stuck with him so don't know what to do.  Like many of you, I don't have a lot of money stashed somewhere to pay for this right now.  Even after insurance pays their portion I'm still looking at quite a bit.  Yes I know this is important to chewing my food, yes I know that there won't be as much acid in my stomach after surgery to break down and process my food.  I am in agreement with that.  However, he won't even consider the surgery if I've at least started the process of dental work.  Now mind you, I chew just fine with the teeth that I have but he won't budge.

I have worked hard and long on this process and am very frustrated about this last minute snag.  I am looking at a surgery date in early August.  Could someone please respond about this issue with an open mind.  I feel that I am trying to approach this with an open mind, but also realistic about what should happen.  Thanks for your feedback.

bomoni727
on 6/27/11 10:19 am
Topic: RE: Nutritionist Six Month Supervision
 Hello All,
I am hoping that someone can address this concern that I have with your experiences.  I have worked hard and long to finally come down the stretch to possible approval for RNY surgery.  July will be my last month of supervision with my Nutritionist and after that submit to insurance for approval.  It is true that I have struggled along these last six months and it's been a good learning experience for me.  But, here's the problem.  In the last month I gained 11 pounds.  I must admit that I slipped but was horified to see how much I gained.  Did this happen to anyone else toward the end of your six months?  If so, did this affect your insurance approval at all?
bomoni727
on 4/23/11 2:31 am
Topic: RE: Hot Flashes
 Hello All,
I anticipate that I will be having surgery in August-doing the 6 month thing right now.  Was just wonder if any of you who are menopausal saw your hot flashes go away after surgery, or did they get better or worse.  I have a co-worker who had the surgery and said that her hot flashes went away right away.  If this is true, then I am so looking forward to that added bonus of the RNY.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
bomoni727
on 3/29/11 10:27 am
Topic: RE: approval!
 Yippie for you!!  A big congrats and I'm looking forward to my date soon.
bomoni727
on 3/26/11 11:19 am
Topic: RE: Nutrition appts pre-op question
 I really do agree with everything that you are saying.  As of 4/11 this will be my third time meeting with the Nut.  As is the case with you, my BMI is also borderline for surgery but so far I have 4 comorbid going on.  It is true she just needs to see evidence of my understanding of what will be required after surgery and beyond and to make sure that I am not just going through the motions just to get approved.  This is a very thorough team that I am working with and they are leaving no stone unturned to assure as much as possible my success.  The insurance person on the team is very comfident that I will be approved and will be looking at a surgery date of late July or early August.  I am not looking forward to a long summer of jumping through so many hoops but in my mind I've had to just put everything in proper perspective, look at the big picture, and keep health in the forefront of my overall goal.
bomoni727
on 3/26/11 8:46 am
 My surgeon has already deemed me appropriate for the surgery. The nut does want me to demonstrate that I understand the implications of the surgery and how to eat properly post-op.  I was always under the impression that if the surgeon doesn't give the go ahead, then game over.  I had a great appt. with my surgeon and it was actually early on in the process even before I had met with the nut or psychologist.  I just happen to be working with a team that is extremely thorough, but it's also frustrating me a little bit because I want to be cleared by the nut in concert with my surgeon.
bomoni727
on 3/26/11 8:03 am
 I am curious as to how it went working with your nutritionist/dietitian during the pre-op qualifying phase.  I can understand them wanting to be thorough, but it's really been tough working with mine.  The surgeon has not required a specific amount be lost before surgery but my nutritionist seems to be pushing me to lose weight.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for learning how to eat after surgery but it's going to be tough to get her "blessing."  Please someone respond with your experiences with this, thanks and sorry for the long post.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views