aesposito’s Posts

aesposito
on 12/23/17 3:15 pm
Topic: RE: Extreme pain in left shoulder and back.

Go to the ER. Not to alarm you, but pain to the left shoulder, arm, neck, jaw, etc can be cardiac in origin... and it's better safe than sorry.

Aidrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

aesposito
on 12/12/17 6:47 pm
Topic: RE: Body changes that are never spoken about -nsfw possibly-

Honestly the biggest issue I have with the floppy bits is on my bike, where stuff rubs and squishes and folds in on itself and is generally unhappy... a nice pair of bike shorts helps, but it's not a cure.

As for looking more appealing to me, I hate how it looks. But luckily I don't have to look at it much, he does. I envision him having to sift through yards of skin to find anything, and meanwhile he says with a grin that's a way over-exaggeration of the facts.

But FYI I have heard of people who have had their labia "tightened up" with plastic surgery after losing weight, so I suppose that's an option if you are really not happy with it (I don't think I'd go that far personally, but I am me, not you).

Hope that wasn't too much TMI in return lol!

Audrey

aesposito
on 12/12/17 2:39 pm
Topic: RE: Body changes that are never spoken about -nsfw possibly-

My libido went (and is still) through the roof. It is amazing how much fun sex is when you can move around more.

I hate the skin, but my husband says he doesn't mind it so I have to take that at face value. However on occasion we will be doing "whatever" and I can feel/see jiggling and I'm totally taken out of the moment for a bit.

Speaking of skin, there is a lot more in the genital area than there used to be of course. It doesn't get in the way of sex so much, but it can make bike seats and certain clothing a little uncomfortable....

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/30/17 4:29 pm
Topic: RE: Fussy pouch 8 months out

Same thing happens to me more than six YEARS out. Some days Pouchy is happy. Other days he is not. I just go with the flow and always listen to him. Unless you have a medical or nutritional concern, I would suggest you do the same :)

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/26/17 4:00 pm, edited 11/26/17 12:12 pm
Topic: RE: Very disappointed in myself.......

"Be sure to take in small amounts of carbs with every protein, so your body can use the protein properly."

Um, no? Unless you have access to some kind of published, peer-reviewed research I haven't seen in my perusal of literally hundreds of such studies...

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/13/17 9:14 pm
Topic: RE: To bonk or not to bonk....

I have to be careful due to reactive hypoglycemia but in general, I average 50 g carbs a day in the winter, and 100 g in the summer. We routinely do the Apple Cider Century and other local weekend long-distance rides during the summer, so it works for me better than just eating more on ride days. As you are still early out, that may not work for you, but I think I started doing that maybe 2 years in and it has worked ever since.

When I do bonk, it is often due to hydration issues, not just food. G2 seems to keep that under control as it has a tiny amount of sugar in it compared to full-sugar Gatorade. I fill my camelbak with water (which I hate, but I drink when forced), pop a few bottles of G2 in the bike, and I am ready to go. During the ride I don't eat much unless it's more than 40 miles or so, then maybe a banana or nuts or a protein bar (or all three) depending on distance left.

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/6/17 4:35 pm, edited 11/6/17 8:35 am
Topic: RE: Not enough food? Minimal progress this past month

You can drink before meals. Your doctor is incorrect if he/she says otherwise. It is during/after meals you need to avoid drinking.

Edited to add: Oh and I despite water, but those little water drop flavor thingies are a life-saver for me, that and tea...

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/6/17 4:33 pm
Topic: RE: RH strikes again

Peanut butter straight off a spoon is my go-to. I can get it from my work cafeteria if I am not at home... but I have been really careful lately and haven't had an episode of RH in probably almost 2 years now.

Audrey

aesposito
on 11/1/17 6:35 pm
Topic: RE: Disappointing 8-month surgeon's visit

Purposely start regaining just 9 months after surgery? Are they high? Odds are they have never been super morbidly obese themselves, and have no idea what carbs can do to people like us due to our altered metabolisms. Keep doing what you are doing (as long as your blood work and health status remains good, that is)... you will bounce back a bit next year if you are like most of us, and you will appreciate the cushion then.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/27/17 7:50 pm
Topic: RE: Trying to find food is hard sometimes

That is how I feel after reactive hypoglycemia, which some people refer to as "late dumping syndrome". Whatever you call it, carbs cause it. I almost never get it any more, because I stay away from carbs...

The only other possibility I can think off, without being your doctor, is you have a bad gall bladder, which can react various weird ways to high fat. As healthy fats are good for post-RNY, you don't want to avoid them... but get your gall bladder checked out if you truly think you are eating eggs, mayo, etc without any added carbs and still suffering those symptoms. But I would add that I believe, reading your initial post, that you are eating a lot more carbs and sugar than you think you are.

FYI mayo has no lactose to speak of. It is oil and egg and some additives.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/26/17 3:36 pm
Topic: RE: Bariatric multi-vitamins help

I looked them up after you mentioned them. I would caution you about a couple of things:

1. They contain mannitol and other sugar alcohols. For many of us, explosive diarrhea results from those.
  2. Their source of magnesium is magnesium oxide, which is nearly useless for supplementation as the body does not absorb the oxide type well. It's a great laxative, but not good for much else. Vitamin companies know this, but they use it because it is cheaper than citrate and other forms.
  3. It contains B-12. Again for most of us, the factor in our GI tract that absorbs B-12 is gone following the surgery. We often require sublingual or other non-GI routes for our B-12.

If they work for you this early, that is fine. But keep an extra sharp eye on your blood levels for the first few years to make sure they continue to work for you.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/26/17 3:27 pm, edited 10/26/17 8:37 am
Topic: RE: Bariatric multi-vitamins help

Chewable orange centrum are good multi-vitamins to start with... cheap, nearly complete, and not too awful. I also add iron, magnesium citrate, potassium, B-12 sublingual, B1 and a weekly D-3 50,000 iu.

That's based on watching my blood levels over several years (I have major issues with anemia and magnesium especially)... your mileage may vary.

Edited to add: some people also need to add calcium, vitamin C, etc. I have never had an issue with those so I never added them.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/26/17 5:53 am
Topic: RE: Six year ago today....

Actually there are NO current reputable, peer reviewed studies showing a high fat diet raises heart disease risks. The American Heart Association's low fat recommendations are based on bad science, a fact they only started recently acknowledging (although as you can see from this article, they are not quite there yet... but for the AHA, this was a big change in thinking).

https://news.heart.org/advisory-replacing-saturated-fat-with -healthier-fat-could-lower-cardiovascular-risks/

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/25/17 7:56 pm, edited 10/25/17 1:00 pm
Topic: RE: Calling All Past Soda Lovers

I drink sugar-free soda every day, as I hate coffee and I require caffeine to survive and not kill people.

In the beginning I would shake it up to make it flat as Pouchy didn't like the bubbles. After about a year, I got used to the bubbles too.

I feel that some doctors assume that because we are fat, we are stupid, and they place blanket bans on things like caffeine or soda pop (sugar or not) because they don't want us drinking the sugared stuff after RNY and they feel we are too dumb to listen. So they make up stories about how it will blow up your pouch, etc. It is anatomically impossible to do that. And the ASMBS says caffeine is fine.

Long story short, when you are ready and comfortable, try some flat soda (sugar-free, that is).

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/25/17 3:30 pm

Oh trust me, unfortunately I am quite definitely 163... been swinging between 160 and 165 since the start of the dreaded menopause, ugh. Before that, I was 155-ish for a loooong time.

To answer your question though, I am 5'7".

As for athletic, well I bike a lot, hike a bit, and chase a cute toddler grandson daily for exercise, does that count? :)

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/24/17 6:26 pm, edited 10/24/17 8:57 pm

I had a bunch of my stomach and small intestine hacked out of my body six years ago today to do what I couldn't do alone... lose weight and become (relatively) healthy. What I have learned:

1. It's a tool, not a cure
  2. IBS and lactose intolerance sux. But it is what it is.
  3. I miss ice cream. Banana splits especially. Anything with chocolate really.
  4. Dry chicken and dry ground beef make Pouchy unhappy STILL
  5. Anemia sucks, and so do nocturnal leg/foot craps so take your f*cking vitamins!
  6. Dr. Atkins had the right idea. Any doctor who tells you it's OK to eat potatoes and oatmeal right after surgery is an idiot. I have stayed at the weight I am due to low carb and high fat... .
  7. Booze and wine are OK, but ONLY if in moderation. A problem is a problem.
  8. Ditto caffeine/coffee/sugar-free pop or soda. I live for my daily Diet Mountain Dew and occasional Rockstar Recovery (no fizz).
  9. Don't ignore abdominal pain and assume it's just an RNY thing. I ignored it two years ago, and then almost died from a ruptured appendix.
  10. Chasing my 3 year old grandson around and biking/sex/fun with my husband trumps all of the above issues
  11. I would do it all again in a minute.

Six year ago:

\

Now (around 163 in this pic):

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/18/17 7:29 am
Topic: RE: Husband recently got an Instant Pot and is SOOOO excited for RNY recipes!

Thank you all! I make deviled eggs literally every week, so that is awesome! And the chicken and pork ideas.... Great!

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/18/17 7:27 am
Topic: RE: Husband recently got an Instant Pot and is SOOOO excited for RNY recipes!

Yes I lucked out in the husband department twice... first one was a restaurant owner, and second one is a foodie. I can't eat much, but when I do, it's fab!!

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/17/17 5:47 pm
Topic: RE: Struggling

Yes he would. Hoodies are the best. Instead of using them to camouflage our flaws now, we use them to stay warm like all the other "normal" people. Except I would want you to get the Bulls, not the Cavs... but I will forgive you...

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/17/17 5:20 pm
Topic: RE: Struggling

The last time I sat Shiva, my overriding memory is blintzes and bagels. I can only imagine your stress level right now.

I can only say that the deli tray is not totally evil... cold cuts, cheese, mustard, lox, pickles, etc are pretty high protein, high fat and/or low-carb.

And I am so sorry for your loss... may G-d comfort you among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem....

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/17/17 5:12 pm, edited 10/17/17 5:13 pm

I thought I had pretty much cornered the market on high protein, high fat, low-carb recipes. But he is like a reformed ***** right now... ready to pressure-cook the world quickly and healthily for me. Any Instant Pot recipe successes for RNY peeps other than the obvious stuff? He made me a wonderful Paella the other day... I picked around the rice and it was divine!

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/17/17 5:04 pm
Topic: RE: Full Liquids Making Me Cramp

Take it slow. I developed IBS and lactose issues after surgery, never had them before. If 4 oz causes an issue, try 2 oz... and so on.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/17/17 5:02 pm
Topic: RE: FOOD MAKING YOU SICK

Six years later, ground beef and chicken STILL catch me off guard if they are not moist enough. Add some mayo or sour cream or butter or something... and then if there is still a problem, lay off them a few months and try again.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/9/17 10:02 am
Topic: RE: Post op diet

Hellman's mayonnaise - 0 carbs (https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/product/2676443/nutritio n?locale=en_us

Hellman's low fat mayonnaise dressing - 2 carbs

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hellmann-s-Low-Fat-Mayonnaise-Dre ssing-30-oz/10291732

Daisy sour cream - 1 carb

Daisy lite sour cream - 2 carbs

https://www.daisybrand.com/sour-cream

Hidden Valley Ranch original - 2 carbs

Hidden Valley Ranch light ranch - 3 carbs

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/products/bottled-dressings/orig inal-ranch/original-ranch/

Regular cool whip - 2 carbs

Lite/Free (and even "sugar free") - 3 carbs

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/coolwhip/products.aspx

As in many parts of life, I suspect the true secret is to read the label and choose your brands accordingly... with the knowledge that some manufacturers add carbs/sugar, and some don't.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/9/17 8:00 am
Topic: RE: Post op diet

Ouch... was wondering how I got that bloody nose and bruise on my knee :D

Feel free to reign me in anytime...I lose my sh*t every now and then lol.

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views