Wow.. I finally found a younger board!

Mandy S.
on 5/6/04 7:45 am - Olympia, WA
Hey Everyone ~ My name is Mandy and I have struggled with my weight my entire life, although my personality has taken me further then I ever could have imagined image was still an issue for me. I just turned 18 in January and have been looking into Gastric Bypass Surgery for the last year researching, learning, and talking. Once I finally decided this is what I wanted I went to my faimly who was completely supportive of what I had decided to do. We attended a Wish Center meeting and learned about the surgery only to discover the cost *gulp*.. Unfortunatly our insurance didn't cover the surgery and we were lost for words. I was convinced I was going to be fat for life. Well.. my smart cookie of a mother decided to look into some things and she happens to be retired military and she discovered tha TRICARE MILITARY INSURANCE COVERS THE ENTIRE PROCESS!!! Wow! We immediatly switched insurances, and I began my process. I found a wonderful doctor who was behind me 110% and also a surgeon Dr. Preston Carter who knew this surgery would be vital for my healthy life. They pushed me through the process in about two monthes (ususally a two year process), and I just successfully had the surgery on April 30th. My weight when I went in was 336 and I am about 5'7. The reason I got pushed through so quickly both through the process and the two year waiting list was BECAUSE OF MY AGE! I am graduating from high school NEXT month and moving from WA to KY in the fall to attend Western Kentucky University. If any younger person would like someone to talk to, I would be more then HAPPY to chat with you... Sometimes you may feel pretty lost among the older people. Having someone your own age to relate to is something that vital important. I am only one week out of my surgery and feeling pretty good. The surgery itself wasn't easy, and it was a little painful BUT it was a lot easier then I believed it was going to be. I know as a young person this surgery has saved my life, from health to dating there needed to be some serious changes and I know many others out there have been through the ridiculing at school, and the painful looks and snickers. Your doing the right thing by looking into this surgery, and I KNOW that when you've decided it's what you want your support will grow - My ENTIRE senior class is pulling for me with open arms as well as friends and family outside of school. You can do it, and you WILL do it if you push for what you truly believe in. ALWAYS remember ~ "Life Lies Before You Like Freshly Fallen Snow Be Careful Where You Walk For Every Step Will Show" ~Author Uknown Love Always, Mandy Contact: [email protected] AIM: Funktifyit01
MarianneS
on 5/6/04 8:03 am - MD
Welcome to the board Mandy! Congratulations on your surgery! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am sure I will have tons of questions for you as our journey continues. I am awaiting a consult so I am still in the beginning stages. --Marianne
Meagan S.
on 5/6/04 9:17 am - Killeen, TX
RNY on 08/14/18
Hey Mandy, Congrats on your surgery Im still trying to get my process rolling... no such luck yet springing too much on my family as it is right now... Senior stuff, wanting a tattoo and the surgery and i know our insurance doesnt cover it and i also know that we cant afford to self pay but imma give it a shot anywho.... Meagan [email protected] AIM: TexasCuddleBug17
G E.
on 5/7/04 3:07 am - Garland, TX
Hey mandy, Congrats on the surgery! I had mine april 19, lap RNY. Your right about having someone you own age to talk to. Im 18 too, and although Im only 3 weeks out id be happy to help with any questions you may have. It would be nice to keep in touch, we could be each others support system. If youd like you can email me at [email protected]. Good luck!
Iisashes
on 5/7/04 4:43 pm - Omaha, NE
Woah! 2 months!! I have tricare as well but its taken me over a year now and I still haven't had my surgery! lol, all in good time I suppose. Hmm, my 18th bday is next week, lol I got a treadmill as an early bday present, I guess my parents are trying to tell me something, ya think? Meagan~ I don't know how you would feel about this, but I keep hearing about this wonderful surgeon in Mexico, a lot of self pays go to him. Ugh, I wish I still had his webby. Now I know what your thinking, 'Mexico, ICK!' lol but I keep hearing the best things about him. If you go to the main board someone might no who I'm talking about... I'll go see if I can find it. But its just a suggestion.
Iisashes
on 5/7/04 4:45 pm - Omaha, NE
Alejandro Aguirre M.D Yup, thats him
Amy W.
on 5/8/04 12:05 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Dr.Ungson is a surgeon in Mexico also! Theres a yahoo group for people who have had surgery with him, or people who want to know about him and all that stuff!!! I was just a part of that group because i thought i was going to have to self-pay one of these days! i dont know, i was just searching other options(other surgeons). ~Amy
Meagan S.
on 5/8/04 3:37 pm - Killeen, TX
RNY on 08/14/18
no not mexico ick... mexico is good im goin to go drinkin there after graduation lol
Most Active