One Month Down / Question

lrcvsc
on 10/20/10 5:28 am
Today is my one month anniversary, feeling fine and enjoying the changes.

Question, I was a BIG coffee drinker before my surgery 2-4 cups every morning. Now I don't even think about it or want it. Did that happen to anyone? Do you drink caffeinated or decaffeinated?

04/14/2010 HW 278 - First visit for a Lapband consultation
09/09/2010 Met with new Dr and we talked about VSG
09/22/2010 SW 259
10/20/2010 CW 228
GW 200

farewell2fat
on 10/20/10 5:41 am - Apopka, FL
 Haven't had surgery yet, but this is my fear. I'm a huge coffee & diet coke drinker, both of which you shouldn't have post-op! But I have heard over & over again on OH that people's taste buds change after surgery. I'm hoping this to be the case!

allie_b
on 10/20/10 5:48 am
 i wasnt a big coffee drinker but i did drink soda all day, every day. that was soooo hard for me to give up. now (granted it's only been a week)  i dont want any type of soda at all. i'm completely content with water!
I'm 28, 5'7 and have a bougie size 36 french, not oversewn.
Capacity for dense protein: about 3 oz. Also...only lost 2 lbs pre-op.
FatJuicyMouse
on 10/20/10 5:54 am - Rigby, ID
 I drank two cups of coffee a day, at least and had at least one diet soda. I haven't had any soda since I started my pre-op diet but I went back to my coffee within four days of surgery. I didn't have a problem getting my water in and I drink extra water to cover the assumed diuretic effect. It hasn't bothered me a bit and I feel so much better being able to have it. I put Nectar Cappuccino in it every morning so it is part of my breakfast. Gets me going. Sometimes I have a Click and that really gets me going, in more ways than one!

Lionetta
on 10/20/10 6:06 am - AZ
I haven't started coffee back yet, but have had a cup of English breakfast tea first thing in the morning since I hit 2 months out. It is NOT decaf, so I add the same amount of water extra during the day to offset the dehydration effect it could cause, per my NUT's instructions.

Funny, after surgery, I didn't crave a darn thing. My taster was so off, and still is when it comes to water, and everything tasted so strange for a few weeks. Coffee was the farthest thing from my mind and I used to LOVE my morning java. Go figure.

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

vixen01
on 10/20/10 6:18 am
 I have not had surgery yet either, but I stopped drinking coffee too.  I haven't had a cup since last week Tuesday and the headaches have stopped since Saturday.  I felt like an addict and my rational was "why am I drinking something that causes withdraws"?  I stopped soda too for over two months almost three just the same way.  I figure if I can stop now post surgically it would be an issue of non-concern for me.  I wish you the best! 

Mo.
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/10 6:19 am - Germantown, MD
Everyone's programs are different. Mine does not prohibit caffeine forever, just early out. Caffeinated drinks don't count toward your daily fluid intake for most of us, so, I've avoided them while it was hard for me to get in enough fluid. 

I do, now, occasionally make a protein shake with Click espresso protein powder ( if you're interested it's at http://www.drinkclick.com it does't have a lot of protein so I usually add a scoop of my regular chocolate with it). I was never a huge coffee drinker myself, but I love a cup every now and then, and all sorts of hot teas. Anyway, ask your nut/surgeon about caffeine and how long you will have to go without it. I imagine it won't be but for a month or two. 
sandye1421
on 10/20/10 6:35 am - Alexandria, IN

I'm 9 weeks post-op and used to drink at least 4-6 cups regular coffee a day, after surgery it tasted funky to me. I didn't even miss it. I tried a cup a few times and actually can drink it now but really don't want it. Weird how surgery changes your taste buds.

Sandye1421   
21 lbs. lost pre-op

coco135
on 10/20/10 9:08 am
I dranked coffee preop but post op have not had any.  My doctor forbids it :(  I don't miss it though.  coco135

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views