no government shut down hooray...

Mary R.
on 4/8/11 2:11 pm, edited 4/8/11 2:12 pm - OH
NewDawn50
on 4/8/11 2:13 pm
You know, Mary, I'm not going to continue to debate with you about this.  You don't believe in abortion, I believe women have free choice over their own bodies.  There's room on this board and in the country, for more than one point of view. 

If you don't believe in the right to choose, then you've chosen.  For you.  You can't dictate that right for others. 

Planned Parenthood isn't going anywhere, I can guarantee it.  Cutting federal funding most likely will never pass, either.  There will be a lot of lip servce paid to it, as an election year is coming up, and the whole abortion/funding thing rears its head, as usual - mostly for show so that the Republican candidate can fire up the base, then gets dropped.

I'm glad you have the choice to believe as you do.

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/8/11 3:09 pm
I can't see what the debate was due to deleted posts, but you're right... they use it every time there's political gain at stake and as soon as that fight is won, it gets dropped like a hot potato.  It makes perfect sense though.

The abortion issue is a really, REALLY powerful political tool; there are millions of one-issue Republicans out there (my mother-in-law is one of them).  If they were to ever actually overturn Roe v. Wade, they lose all those people... what other carrot can they dangle that works so well at bringing in the votes?  

What gets me is how many people continue to fall for it over and over again.  Hell, the GOP has had more than enough opportunities to overturn R v. W since the 70s, yet they didn't.  

Fool me once...  

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

NewDawn50
on 4/8/11 3:22 pm
Well, Paul, frankly I don't know of any free clinics anywhere.  Maybe in some large urban areas, but I don't know of any.  Planned Parenthood is the only place that I'm aware of that has a place for women with no access to health care to get decent care for needs such as birth control pap smears, etc.

I can't imagine holding up a budget over an organization that does so much good.  Only 3% of their services are for abortions, and that 3% isn't federally funded!  This was a totally bogus argument that took aim at an organization for purely political reasons.

I think social services HAVE taken a huge hit in this budget.  Everyone needs to give back.  Life will become even more squeezed for lower income and middle class families...but the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy remain untouched.

Paul11011
on 4/9/11 1:24 am
Well I'm not sure what state you live in but here in MI there are many available in a wide range of economically developed areas. 

I would agree that holding up something as important as the budget because of a funding cut to a program that supports a social agenda is ridiculous, but that's just what the Democrats have done.  Please detail for me which part of the constitution authorizes congress to allocate funding to groups such as PP?  I'm not hung up on the abortion side of PP, I simply don't believe we should be funding it period. 

Social services need to continue to take hits at the federal government level.  If we are to provide funding for programs such as PP, it should be happening at the state level.  

Please don't give me the talking points about the Bush tax cuts.  The Democrats held complete control of the House, Senate and the White House and knew full well that the tax rates where scheduled to go up at the end of 2010.  They had ample opportunity and complete ability to address the issue.  They could have held or adjusted the lower and middle tax brackets at whatever level and increased the upper tax rate to whatever their little hearts desired, they chose not to. 

Just curious, how much do you believe is fair to take from the high income earners?  The federal rate of 35% does not seem to be enough for you.  Should they automatically give the federal government 50 cents of every dollar they earn, 60 cents?  How much would be enough?
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views