Medical Alert Bracelets

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 6/28/11 7:56 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
I was a flight nurse for a while and an ER nurse for many years.  I'm also married to a Firefighter/EMT so I feel like I can address this issue.  I second what offshoremedic said.  He was spot on.

If your only medical issue is VSG--you don't need a medic alert bracelet.  If you are diabetic, epileptic, have severe medicne or food allergies, etc., then that's a different story.

Another thing to think about-----
Most people that wear medic alert bracelets want to wear things that aren't obviously medic alert bracelets (like the one's on Lauren's hope website and others).  They are beautiful as jewlery but you have to look at them to realize what they are.  That defeats the whole purpose.  I can tell you from working in the pre-hospital and ER settings that if a patient is unconcious and doesn't have someone that can give information, the staff are not going to be closely examining their bracelets, ankle bracelets and necklaces.  They are going to take those things off to be secured after the worst of the emergency is over.

If you are going to wear one, make sure it is obvious what it is or it's useless.  Same goes for keyrings.  The staff won't be looking at your keys.  If you are in a car wreck and come in unconcious, the police or firedepartment might have your keys to secure the vehicle but they won't find their way to your other belongings until the emergency is over. 

Also in the heat of the moment, they won't be digging thru your purse or briefcase.   Keep pertinent medical info with your drivers license and medical insurance card.  Those are the things that the staff need and if your medical info is paperclipped to your insurance card, they will find it.

Sorry for the rant but this question comes up alot and I think these may be a waste of money for some people.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Susan0714
on 6/28/11 8:16 am - Kenner, LA
Thank you, Leslie for your information about the bracelets as well as Offshore medic and everyone else that repsonded.. I am glad that I started the post, not only did I find out about the med alert, but I also found out about the Nsaids..

I know that my friend that has the RNY she was saying she can't have the NSAIDS, so that was on my doc's list for questions when  I see him tomorrow. My only health issue is the sleeve, I have not other issues.

I thank you for the suggestions about putting information with my Driver's Lic. or attached to my insurance card.. I will make sure I make some information up, and attach it to those..

Thank you all again,

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Most Active