carbs too low????? Protein too high???

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 1:19 am
Your body does not need carbs to survive.  You should continue to keep your carbs as low as you can.  However, how far out are you from surgery?  If you are only two months out like someone else said, you are getting in too many calories and that is because of the extensive protein.  I only got to the 800 cal lever after about six months.  I would stay closer to the 600 cals in the beginning.  You really don't need more then 80 g. of protein in most cases.  I would change my mind if you are exercising a great deal.
wert
on 8/28/11 2:05 pm - MN
Elina and Jellybean, thank you for the reminder. It sure worked for me. It's still working and I have no intention of upping my carbs. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

sleevegirl
on 8/28/11 1:31 am - Austin, TX
I hate to disagree, but not everyone's calorie requirements will be the same. Someone that weighs 200 pounds vs someone that weights 300 pounds will be different. You may very well stall at 600 calories if you weigh 300 because that's not enough for your metabolisim or weight. If you have a dietician, check in with them about it. I try to stay within my RD's recommendations as best as I can :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 2:02 am, edited 8/28/11 2:05 am
I will make this comment, but then I will quit because I don't want to start a war about it, it wouldn't be worth it to me. People will just need to do their own research. Your theory sounds to me like it is based on the old myth about "starvation mode". This theory comes from research done in the 60's and has been disproved many, many times in more current literature. MacMadome has a great deal of research on this posted on her blog if you would like to read it. Eating less calories does not lead to stalls and only increases the amount of weight lost in the long run. I have to reason to argue about it, I have already lost my weight but I think it is important to get people to research this for themselves.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

This is her blog post on it, I love that she put the research into posting it here.

sleevegirl
on 8/28/11 2:26 am, edited 8/28/11 2:34 am - Austin, TX
It's not so much about starvation.

It doesn't matter. She asked for advice, I gave it. My ultimate advice to everyone is to visit with a registered dietician and talk about your specific body's needs and what is going on with your body. Everyone is different. If your doctor did any tests such as calorimeter and the blood tests, the dietician may want to see those too.

Everyone's body is different. I have to up calories and then drop them back down sometimes to get the weight moving again or decrease exercise intensity or change to intervals, etc etc. Between my dietician, my counselor and my personal trainer, we all work together to get it going again. 

** This is what works for me, but again, it's just me! Everyone needs to figure their own. **

For the record, I tend to lose if I hover up and down around 800 calories, 70-110 protein, 40-50 grams of carbs and I don't officially count the fat, but it varies from 20-70. If I stall out for a few days, I increase calories to 1000-1200 for a day or two then drop it back down and the weight starts coming off - did that the past few days and I'm down 2 this morning again LOL. If I go under 650 calories, I don't lose at this point. I'm still new out, but that's what we've figured out from watching the patterns. LOL, either that or I'm paying these people a lot of money to feed me a line of BS ;) I also work out daily. Twice per week, strength training with my trainer and the rest of the time I'm at the gym doing cardio or at home doing something. I bust my butt hardcore, sometimes burning 500 calories in a session. That can also play into your caloric needs/expenditures, if I fall below a certain point, I cannot work out with the correct intensiity.

There's really no rhyme or reason to your own body and what works. There are people here that have NEVER stalled or ones that started out at 200 pounds and met goal in a few months or started at 200 pounds and met goal at 2 years. There are those at started at 400 and are darn close to goal at a year and some that it took 3 years. It doesn't mean those people are doing it "wrong", just that their body has a different way of handling food vs. energy expenditures and they have to work it their own way.

Anyway, my point was that one size does NOT fit all, as those of that have tried on a nightgown have rudely found out in the past ;)

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Heleena33
on 8/28/11 2:25 pm - Custer, WA

Thank you for your post!

I was just having this discussion with my nutritionist about the calorie subject!  I am getting about 4-500 calories a day and just can't fit any more!!

I only had one week I didn't lose a pound and I think it is because I took a lot of naps and had added mushie foods.

It is so good to see someone else sees the same outcome!  I do have a sister who can eat 3 big macs, 2 large fries and large milkshake.  Then automatically after about 20 min, runs to the rest room and it's gone!  She actually got to 75 lbs at one time!  Now she is retaining more food and up to about 110 and no fat on her body!!

Evidently she got just enough out of her food to lose as much as she wanted and now gained back a little and doing better.

Thanks for the link

Helen

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

becca2297
on 8/28/11 1:18 pm
Hey thanks guys...I've been driving all day, so just getting back to read this post.....I will take all advise to heart....  I don't have a NUT or PSYCH since I was self pay.  I do most of my learning here on OH.  I've hit a slight plateau these last few weeks and decided to play around with my diet.  Hence the topic......I will probably try all of these methods and find out which works best for me.  I stepped on the scale after being in the car for 6 hours and I am up 2.5 lbs.....IDK if it was the long-ass drive and retaining fluid.....or TOM is approaching....Its really hard to decifer what your fluctuations are related to ????  Maybe I will go see a NUT out of my own pocket and try to figure some things out.....Thank you  for your responses.....

Consult weight =312    SW=299    CW=233   GW=160
I am 5'7"   Lost 13  of these lbs on the 2 week liquid diet.
sleevegirl
on 8/28/11 1:36 pm - Austin, TX
I was (am) self-pay as well. My insurance covered my pre op testing and it covers my counselor... the rest I pay for out of pocket. I've invested a lot into myself this year. I'm worth it. So are you.

wert
on 8/28/11 2:19 pm - MN
An appointment with a NUT can be a good thing. I'd caution you, tho, so see one who's experienced in bariatric nutrition and knows how we -VSG- differ from RNY.

Good luck. Way to go! You're doing your homework and looking for answers. All the best to you.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views