One week out - Starving!

VickyBT
on 9/6/11 2:31 am - MI
One week out (VSG) and I'm doing pretty good although my main incision still hurts and I feel like I have to hold it in with my hand when I cough or bend over. Re-gaining my strength a little everyday. I'm doing 64 oz. of fluids + 4 liquid proteins a day but the last 2 days I feel REALLY hungry but one more week on liquids. Feel like I could eat a cow right now! I wasn't expecting to feel this way.
What to do??
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

mythreechildren2001
on 9/6/11 2:39 am
I was the same way.  Getting on a PPI helped a lot!  If you're not taking omeprizole or nexium or whatever, you might talk to your dr about that.  After that, it didn't really improve completely until I got on more solid, dense proteins.  It took me by surprise too, and I got so tired of people telling me it was head hunger! lol

50 y/o female 5'6" HW 283 current 160 goal 150

mythreechildren2001
on 9/6/11 2:40 am
GiGi W.
on 9/6/11 2:43 am
I was the same way. SO HUNGRY!

The Prilosec helps a LOT, plus starting full liquids has helped so much. When can you start applesauce, yogurt, etc?

VickyBT
on 9/6/11 2:51 am, edited 9/6/11 2:52 am - MI
I'm on Prilosec, take it everyday.
I called my nut but no call back yet.
I know what head hunger is...
this doesn't feel like head hunger to me .
Feels like my stomach is always empty
except after I have my protein.
Drinking water doesn't make it go away.

Jacksonsgrandma
on 9/6/11 2:57 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I'm so glad you're able to get all of your water and supplements in!  My incisions just ITCH like crazy.  No pain when I cough or anything. Is your tummy real bruised around the incision they took your stomach out?  Mine sure is ~ very colorful indeed.
I take Prilosec so maybe that helps the hunger pangs according to the other responses. My daughter-in-law made pizza while I was there yesterday and it smelled so gooooood but it didn't bother me that I didn't have any.  Of course, I was holding my two month old grandson so that's comfort enough.
Talk to you soon.  Take care, you're doing great!

Smardeepants
on 9/6/11 3:05 am
I was the same way. I had a gnawing, empty, queasy feeling that wasn't relieved by ANYTHING.

I ended up increasing my prilosec to 2X a day, and within a week it was much more controlled. I still have actual, physical hunger (head hunger, too... but that's to be expected, as this was stomach surgery, not brain surgery, LOL).

As others have said, once I started on mushies it was much less, and finally on solid foods (denser protein) it's now only about 3hours after my last meal.

Hang in there, it WILL get better.

LabMomma
on 9/6/11 3:28 am, edited 9/6/11 3:29 am
VSG on 09/27/10 with
It really does sound a lot like your stomach is still churning out a LOT of excess digestive acid. It is used to having to digest a lot more food. It takes time for that acid to slow down.

You might talk to your doctor about something a little stronger/ different than omeprazole. I used a prescription med that helped tremendously. Can't remember the name right now, but I can find it. *** It was Dexilant... worked fabulous! ***

In the meantime, see if a few Tums will help. Try the Smoothies, they are very smooth & easier to chew than the regular chalky kind.

As for having to hold your tummy, are you wearing a binder? I really needed mine every day for about 2 months.

Kristy R.
on 9/6/11 3:30 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I was really hungry for about 3.5 months after surgery and then it calmed down.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

VickyBT
on 9/6/11 5:40 am - MI
So talked to the nut and she said I was in the lucky 5% that doesn't lose their appetite!  YOU'VE GOT to be kidding?!?!  GRRRR!! She said I could drink FF Lactaid to increase calories.  yeah...more liquids to slide through my sleeve.  LOL

No binder because I had lap procedure.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom!
(((HUGS)))

Most Active