Starting back on real food....HELP!

watchmenow
on 10/20/11 11:51 pm
I purchased a Ninja prior to surgery.  Pudding makes me very sick at this point.  It is the only thing that made me sick since surgery.  KFC mashed potatoes tasted like metal to me.  I just couldn't stomach that.  I can stomach boiled eggs but not scrambled.  I didn't need to chop or whip tuna but I chewed and chewed and chewed.  Egg salad is great.  I chopped baked chicken and that was really good.  I like sardines packed in water(good protein). I finally tried baked fish which is my favorite.  The only thing is....if I get my protein, there is no room for anything else.  Also, to keep my calories up, I still have a whey protein shake in the morning. The low carb gnc version has(2 scoops) 40 grams of protein/5carbs and 167 calories.  Make sure you eat really slowly so your sleeve will lead you.  Eating fast causes pain and overfilling.
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/21/11 1:14 am - GA
On October 21, 2011 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, watchmenow wrote:
I purchased a Ninja prior to surgery.  Pudding makes me very sick at this point.  It is the only thing that made me sick since surgery.  KFC mashed potatoes tasted like metal to me.  I just couldn't stomach that.  I can stomach boiled eggs but not scrambled.  I didn't need to chop or whip tuna but I chewed and chewed and chewed.  Egg salad is great.  I chopped baked chicken and that was really good.  I like sardines packed in water(good protein). I finally tried baked fish which is my favorite.  The only thing is....if I get my protein, there is no room for anything else.  Also, to keep my calories up, I still have a whey protein shake in the morning. The low carb gnc version has(2 scoops) 40 grams of protein/5carbs and 167 calories.  Make sure you eat really slowly so your sleeve will lead you.  Eating fast causes pain and overfilling.
What is your egg salad recipe?

DrHollywood
on 10/21/11 12:00 am - Harbor City, CA
This is what I ate the first two weeks.

Week 1 & 2   Clear liquids only ( isopure)
3rd week   added a 2 protein shakes to a clear diet
4 th week   introduced puree food to my food plan.  ( used an immersion blender)

in my 4th week i introduced a food at a time, like a baby.  within a few days I was pureeing
multiple foods with my awesome immersion blender.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

vacationlover
on 10/21/11 12:23 am
A week after surgery I was able to start "creamy foods", and they went down great!  They included: yogurt, creamy soups (strain the chunks out), malt o meal, grits.  I REALLY enjoyed the creamy chicken soup.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

wls2011
on 10/21/11 12:42 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Yeah, I agree with other posters...I would not try meats yet!

My plan called for liquids only first 3 weeks post op. And even at 5 weeks out, I was really only liquids and yogurts, I think I tried a bit of grits and a bit of mashed potatoes also at that point.  I went very slow and was behind all the transitions of stages, and I am glad I did....It is better to be behind plan and not throw up or get sick...which so far, I've never thrown up or gotten sick.

P.S. Chicken still is not the most sleeve friendly for me and I'm over 5 months post op...since I prefer white meat and it is just too dry, even with gravy, I can't eat that much and it is not satisfying...
Turkey is better and so is ground beef. And chicken used to be my favorite choice for meats.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

califsleevin
on 10/21/11 12:57 am - CA
My plan starts us out with puree/mushy/soft proteins from the hospital on out, with the admonition to try new things one at a time to test tolerance and if something doesn't sit well, back off, go back a step to something familiar and try it again in a couple of weeks. Mashed potatoes were on our early diet (can have some protein powder added to boost protein if desired, and they can be made a little sloppier than normal, if desired, to help them go down) as were things like beans and rice, tuna, eggs, cream of wheat and oatmeal.  People tolerate things at different rates, but my docs have been doing sleeves for around twenty years and they are comfortable with that rate of progression sleeve-healing wise. While they find that their patients do better as they move on to real foods, there is no reason to move faster than you are comfortable progressing. On poultry like your turkey or chicken, dark meats are usually tolerated better than light meats at the beginning, as they are moister. You can stay with protein shakes for as long as you need to get your protein in and experiment with small amounts of new things. Follow your docs suggestions, and follow your stomach's feelings.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Bob S.
on 10/21/11 2:49 am - TN
Food is not fun after your surgery.  At my 8 week visit, it was highly suggested that I go back to puree foods because my doctor thought I moved to fast to soft foods and then to real foods.

I would stay on the side of caution and go very slow...

At 10 weeks out...I still don't get hungry.  I am now able to have a bowl of soup in 20-30 minutes.
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 8:40 am - Wilmington, OH
Ok I gotta ask, the group if you feel ok with no issues why cant you procede with caution of course. Do you think your tummy will rip open? 

I was sleeved 10/3 and having a hard time not moving forward to soft foods. Being complety honest i have tried some things not on my plan and not had any issues. 

Restriction is there, Chew chew chew..... i just want some taste and texture. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views