Starting back on real food....HELP!

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/20/11 10:27 pm - GA
OK.  I was sleeved 7 days ago and ready for food.  I am terrified to eat!  Ha!  That is a new one for me.  I can have pureed lean chicken. Do I put it in the blender?  Gross!  I can also have chopped lean turkey.  How do I chop it?  Any other suggestions?  I was told I could have shredded tuna also.  What about whipped potatoes?  I was told you could have KFC mashed potatoes. Is that true? 

USAF Wife
on 10/20/11 10:33 pm
I wouldn't do any meats to start with in all honesty. They're typically too dry, too dense and if you read through the posts from the last 2 days on people starting pureed/mushy stuff, you'll see that people who are even 1-2 weeks further out than you can not tolerate meats.

I don't what you've been eating, but take it slow, don't add more than 1 food to your plan in case you have a bad reaction, you'll want to avoid it for a couple of weeks.

I know it's on your list, but honestly, you're stomach was just mutilated, and putting meat in there this early sounds so stressful. There's a lot of healing going on with that staple line.

Pureed/thinned out foods would be a great start, and yeah, blenderized food sucks, but so does puking or major pain 7 days after having your stomach removed.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Happy966
on 10/20/11 10:40 pm

There is no need to rush into "real" food!  Many folks do liquids for several weeks after surgery.  I did, and I wasn't hungry.  You only have one chance to heal, so go as slow as you need to.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/20/11 10:45 pm - GA
Thanks!  I thought it was too soon to add those foods.  I have tried grits and those are hard enough to keep down!  I've been doing a protein shake for breakfast so I'm going to keep that up for a few more days and then try and add something else.

What about some soft fruit. That is also on my list.  It says melon.  Anyone try that and how did it work out?

USAF Wife
on 10/20/11 11:01 pm
Have you tried yogurt (without fruit), Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free pudding and those types of foods yet?? Some poached eggs might work this early, but if you've had issues with grits there's no way I'd put in meat in there. Fruits are sugary and lacking protein, right now you need protein to be the focus.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/20/11 11:10 pm - GA
I've tried the pudding and had no trouble.  I usually eat one of those little cups a day.  I did better with grits yesterday, I just can't eat very much.  I don't throw them up but they feel really strange going down.  I have some yougurt but haven't tried it yet.  I'm going to try eggs later today and get them really mushy. 

Krazydoglady
on 10/21/11 12:27 am - FL
My plan started purees on day 3. That meant puree -- almost liquid, the consistency of baby-food if only a bit looser.  I scrambled eggs, THEN pureed with chicken stock.  I cooked some things like braised chicken thighs  and lamb shank and then truly  pureed them, not just chopped, but pureed with the braising liquid.  I ate less than 1oz at a time plus a little no-sugar added apple sauce.  My main focus was on getting liquids and protein in, at that point.  If I was behind on either,  skipped the 'eating' such as it was and just drank more shakes.

My surgeon's plan progresses food faster than some, but the CLEAR message from surgeon and nutritionist is only go as fast as you can tolerate.  It's fine to be 'behind' the plan in terms of moving to more texture, etc. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

BariBariHappy
on 10/20/11 11:15 pm - MI
Everyone's comments to your thread are absolutely right. My nutritionist had me on liquids from day 3 to 14...then I progressed to Puree's from 14 to 28...then it was soft foods and now I'm on to regular foods....AND GUESS WHAT? My tummy still likes the pureed and soft foods the best right now...and my recovery has been very, very non-eventful. 

Don't rush things...at only 7 days out....you should still be pampering that tummy. Greek yogurt is great, protein soups, cottage cheese. Mashed potatoes are good....jus****ch the gravy.
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

AtlantaGirlel
on 10/20/11 11:21 pm - GA
On October 21, 2011 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, BariBariHappy wrote:
Everyone's comments to your thread are absolutely right. My nutritionist had me on liquids from day 3 to 14...then I progressed to Puree's from 14 to 28...then it was soft foods and now I'm on to regular foods....AND GUESS WHAT? My tummy still likes the pureed and soft foods the best right now...and my recovery has been very, very non-eventful. 

Don't rush things...at only 7 days out....you should still be pampering that tummy. Greek yogurt is great, protein soups, cottage cheese. Mashed potatoes are good....jus****ch the gravy.
I like your plan better.  I just think adding meat now is way too soon.  I'm going to wait on it. 

BariBariHappy
on 10/20/11 11:45 pm - MI
Best of luck to you....keep us posted! You've got plenty of time to try solid, dense meats! Enjoy the time...it's when you'll lose a lot of weight with the "gentle eating"!
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views