am I going to be a slow loser

bklyncat58
on 10/29/11 10:16 pm - NJ
I hope not I started this at 272 back in aug. a week after surgery I was 247 then went to do some mall walking there was a gnc and a scale outside for a quarter and stepped on it said 242 . so that was a 5lb loss in 2 weeks seems slow to me . HELP

USAF Wife
on 10/29/11 10:49 pm
Have you read about all the stalls, and slow down periods that come with surgery? You've dropped a significant amount of weight in a short period of time, you're not even 3  weeks out. There is no slow loser vs. fast loser at this stage. If you're following your plan, eating/drinking what you are supposed to, stop worrying about your rate of loss compared to others. No 2 people lose at the same rate. There is nothing to help with if you are following the rules. Your body is still in recovery mode.

You can not determine what type of loser you will be based on just a couple of weeks. We didn't get fat overnight, we won't get skinny overnight.

Read here for more information so you can be prepared for what's coming in the next couple of months.
http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

lucy2e
on 10/30/11 12:14 am - Laurel, MD
 I agree with USAF wife.  Also remember that the scales aren't always calibrated correctly - I doubt that one at the mall is very accurate.

You're gonna do great - just follow your plan and keep up the walking!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Happy966
on 10/30/11 12:38 am

I lost 21.8 pounds in the first month after surgery, then had a 2 week major slow-down (if not an outright stall) and only lost 9.8 pounds in the second.

We cannot control how much weight we lose or how fast.  We can only control what we eat and how much we move.  I am following my plan.  I can tweak it a bit (more water, more exercise), but really my body is just going to do what it's going to do.  I have to trust that it knows best, as long as I'm doing my part.

If you are following your plan, try to cultivate an attitude of acceptance about how much weight you lose and how fast.  I weigh every day, but I always say "Science Experiment" out loud, slowly and deliberately every time before I get on the scale.  It reminds me to detach emotionally from the number, yet satisfy my obsessive need to know what I weigh.  If I find I cannot stay detached, I will have the gf hide the scale.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Kim_M
on 10/30/11 2:08 am - LaPorte, TX
This is not a race!!! But it is human nature to compare.I made an observation at my 6 month date most of us like 98 percent had lost about the same within 10lbs.Some like me shot out with a big bang and other not but when i was getting those 10 lbs down they were at the 14 -13 down it all balanced out in the end .Just do what is right make good choices and you willk get there

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
BriarRose
on 10/30/11 2:10 am
I lost 34 pounds pre-op in just under 6 months; and I was thrilled !!!! Remember those days ? In 9 months post op I have lost 83 pounds. I am not a "fast" loser. But look at it this way, (and I DO !) I have lost 117.25 pounds in the past 15 months.

To ME that is unbelieveable -- and pretty much on target to lose 75% of my excess weight.

I am 55 years old, have arthritis, and have some physical limitations because of the arthritis. SLOW or FAST isn't what is important....

Making a total lifestyle change so that we can live this way for the rest of our lives is my goal....living healthy, happy and active is what it's all about !

And weight loss will wax and wane over time. You can lose 3 or 4 pounds in a week, and nothing the next week --- our bodies need time to adjust to all the changes.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 3:32 am
I only lost 8 lbs the whole month of October.  Is that slow weight loss?  Who cares, it's 8lbs lost forever!!  In 6 months from now you will look back at all the weight you lost and remember thinking you were losing slowly and then you will see this huge amount gone and laugh.  I agree whole heartedly with AF Wife, you didn't gain it fast but you will probably lose it a lot faster than you gained it if you look back at your one year surgiversary.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views