Protein powder: Casein?

Crystal M.
on 11/11/11 3:49 am - El Paso, TX
Anyone know anything about casein slow-release protein powder? I saw it at the store but didn't buy it because I haven't heard of it and didn't know if it is a good choice for bariatric patients.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Mom4Jazz
on 11/11/11 4:01 am
My surgeon's office says it may not be completely absorbed, although I don't know if that applies to us as well as RNY patients. They don't even recommend it for band patients.

Like any single thing, if you asked 3 different nutritionists you'd probably get 4 different answers.

I try to stick to whey protein blends of whey protein concentrate (slower absorbing but not as slow as the casein) and whey protein isolate (fast absorbing). So far, so good.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 4:20 am
Pretty much across the board -from trainers to NUTs- the most recommended protein supplement is whey protein isolate. It's the fastest and most easily absorbed protein. It's absorbed mostly in the intestine, but also in the stomach which is why it's the go to protein for WLS patients - even VSGers. A friend who is a personal trainer told me he believes that using the casein protein is like throwing money down the drain. He has all his clients on whey isolate.
SassyItalian
on 11/11/11 5:04 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Casein is another milk protein. Those that are ok with whey should be ok with casein but if you are lactose intolerant you should avoid both.

Casein is slowly digested, i guess thats why it is labeled 'slow' release. i havent heard of any problems with it.

casein is also a property in cheese, which many of us VSG'er use to meet our daily protein goals..

not to be confused with collagen protein, im wonderng if kairk meant this instead of casein? collagen protein isnt well absorbed and thus is the equivalent of throwing money down the drain.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Crystal M.
on 11/11/11 8:17 am - El Paso, TX
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll just stick to whey & whey isolate.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Most Active
Recent Topics