Panic attack

deadbug
on 11/23/11 3:52 pm - San Francisco, CA
I have VSG surgery scheduled for this coming Monday, Nov 28 with Dr. Cirangle. I had a panic attack tonight -- a bonafide thought I was going to die panic attack. Never felt like that before. Really, really awful.

I read something on another board that made me worry that I'm swapping a digestive system that I know works for one that might not work properly anymore, and leave me with a self-induced lifetime of discomfort and other kinds of suffering.

Positive, encouraging stories welcomed!!! Stuff like "I don't regret having this surgery" and "I feel great now" kinda stuff! Tell me you're okay!
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 4:02 pm
I don't have any stories to tell, but I have yet to hear any stories about an improperly functioning digestive system with the VSG. I think that's the best part of the VSG. They're leaving all of the important stuff intact. We're still going to  be the same, just smaller. It all goes in the same and comes out the same and is processed the same. It's the SAME digestive system, just smaller :) It's not all switched around with extra pieces and missing pieces like the other ones. If there's anything I'm at peace with, it's with this part. Breathe. You are going to be FINE!!!
Rebecca Zuniga
on 11/23/11 4:05 pm - CA
On November 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM Pacific Time, deadbug wrote:
I have VSG surgery scheduled for this coming Monday, Nov 28 with Dr. Cirangle. I had a panic attack tonight -- a bonafide thought I was going to die panic attack. Never felt like that before. Really, really awful.

I read something on another board that made me worry that I'm swapping a digestive system that I know works for one that might not work properly anymore, and leave me with a self-induced lifetime of discomfort and other kinds of suffering.

Positive, encouraging stories welcomed!!! Stuff like "I don't regret having this surgery" and "I feel great now" kinda stuff! Tell me you're okay!
Hi Sweetie,

Names Becca.  I'm actually scheduled to have my Sleeve done on Monday too.  I know your looking for people who have already had the procedure done to reply, but I saw your message and just had to reply.  It's funny becuase I had just mention dying to my husband before I read your message.

I have been on this website tonight for about an hour now, reading through everyones post, and lemme tell ya.  I feel SO MUCH BETTER.  Just reading all the weight losses and speedy recoveries have be pumped up to have my surgery.  Don't worry hon, it's just the gitters cuz I have them too.  Where are you have your surgery if I may ask?

Greg M.
on 11/23/11 4:14 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Dr. Cirangle is one of the best in the business.  I would be confident in his skills.  Other than a leak early on, heartburn and reflux seems to be the most common complaint.  These symptoms are usually well managed with PPIs and H2 blockers.  Often these symptoms are better post op especially if you have a hernia that is repaired during your sleeve surgery.  I think you are in great hands and if you do have any trouble they will take care of it so try not to worry.  Good luck to you and be sure to follow all the rules!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

dailey1456
on 11/23/11 4:33 pm
 i had my surgery the 15th my experience was really a piece of cake I had no complications was up walking within an hr of being in my room from recovery... when I woke up I said that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be... never had gas pain... just what I would call gas discomfort but nothing that was bad... as soon as I woke up I said I'd def do that again its worth it... I'm 8 days out feel fine returning to work in the morning, I can get over 140oz a day in and eat some things... I've lost almost 15lbs and my incisions are healing very nicely that's my experience so far... I don't regret it and I know I never will... good luck you do fine!!! 
kimbethin
on 11/23/11 4:46 pm - CA
No regrets at all other than I wish I could have done this 10 years ago.  After 5 months I feel great and no longer take BP meds and never needed to start diabetes meds ( I was close to that pre-op).  The surgey and life change that go with it is scary but it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I hope you feel better.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
smbergie200
on 11/23/11 7:08 pm - Naples, FL
Being more than 3 months post op I have never had a complication and have never even thrown up. I have lost close to 90 pounds in 3 months. I have energy through the roof. I have very reduced hunger which is awesome. I don't crave junk food and being free from the bondage of always thinking about food is so awesome. There really is more to life than food. I am now a believer. Its about the safest bariatric surgery out there. Its the ONLY bariatric surgery where your stomach works exactly the same as before, just a heck of alot smaller and without the hunger hormone production. Its a truly miracle surgery. Life is way to short to be unhealthy, obese, and miserable. And as you will hear from everyone, I wish I had done this along time ago. Of course this wasn't an option in the past. Only RNY which in my opinion Sucks. Sorry RNY'ers. Anxiety is normal. Fear is normal. Once you get your surgery and start to drop those pounds you will smile and remember you worried for nothing. You can do it! I can't wait to here your progress on this forum as your fat melts away. To your skinny future!

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

01mojanet
on 11/23/11 8:28 pm
I have my surgery on the 30th and thanks everyone for your encouragement needed it.  We are gonna do fine I will keep you in my prayers. Take Jesus in there with you God Bless.
momsy55
on 11/23/11 8:33 pm - ME
I am also 3 months out and feel great.  I've had no problems so far.  The surgery went smoothly, and, except for gas pains, I felt fine.  I was up walking around within an hour of getting to my room from recovery.  I only took 1/2 dose of pain meds once, the first night, as the gas was uncomfortable and I couldn't move easily in bed.  I never filled the pain and anti-nausea med scripts, as I didn't need them.  I'm off all but 1 of 4 pre-op meds.  I have more energy and a normally functioning stomach.  I chose this surgery over RNY because I liked the fact that my stomach would be a smaller, but normal one, and I liked that there'd be no malabsorption either.  Nerves are normal.  I was convinced I was going to cancel the surgery, but then realized, I was in bad shape, with the health problems continuing to pile up, so what was my alternative?  I could barely move before surgery, and am now taking a jazz dancing class - I stink, but who cares! :)  You will do great!!!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Britgal8888
on 11/23/11 11:04 pm - CA
VSG on 11/28/11 with

I also have my surgery scheduled for Monday, November 28th.  I have waves of excitement and fear but know in the long run, this is going to be so worth it.

I can't wait to hear how everyone is doing.

Take care.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views