TMI - Diarrhea with pre-op diet

kch561
on 11/26/11 11:34 pm - CT
Sorry, I know this is really gross and TMI, but I'm on day 4 of my pre-op liquid diet (Optifast 800) and have been having diarrhea (5x-10x a day) since I started this regimen.  I know, liquid in = liquid out, but is this normal??  

I have another 6 days of this, and I go back to work tomorrow from the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm pretty nervous; for one thing, I have a 90-minute commute each way; for another, I don't sit very close to the ladies' room.  And speaking of sitting (I have a desk job), that's getting mighty painful lately as well, if you know what I mean!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I definitely "get" the saying, "Never trust a fart." :-)

Thanks.

Kelly

pdalton8
on 11/26/11 11:53 pm - NV
I'm on my 10 day pre op diet and I was fine with my liquids protein until I drank one with too much Fiber.... Does your protein drinks have a tone of Fiber in it? That could be part of your problem. As soon as I drink the protein mix with Fiber OH BOY! It comes right out. I'm drinking Premier Protein Drinks from Costco now and I do not get that feeling anymore so maybe you need to switch your protein drink. I hope you can get through this! Good Luck!

kch561
on 11/27/11 12:04 am - CT
Just checked the nutrition label of my Optifast shakes -- ZERO grams of fiber. Guess I can rule that out as a culprit, huh? 

Good luck to you on your pre-op diet. Sounds like you're doing a lot better than I am right now!

Laura2112
on 11/27/11 12:22 am - Austin, PA
 Mine has not been too bad, but there is no way I could really work this week.I am glad I kept things open and told everyone I would see how I felt. 
Tomorrow worries me because I have to go to the Doc and he is 3 hrs away.

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
frenchgrapes
on 11/27/11 2:14 am - TX
Ouch.  I had the same problem the first few days of the pre-op diet last week.  Now I'm fine. Sounds like my pre-op diet is a little different than yours though. 

Put a pillow on the chair seat and raise it up a bit so it doesn't take as much work to lift yourself out of it.

CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
RPrice85
on 11/27/11 8:40 am - MI
I know exactly how you feel. I am on day 12...two more days to go woo hoo , but since day 8 I have been having liquid diarrhea...I know TMI! I don't think it has anything to do with fiber either cause I have been adding Benefiber to stuff since day one liquid diet, but on day 8 I had to switch to a different drink called Adavnced Recovery IMPACT and I think this is what is doing it! Unfortunately I have no choice and have to drink these, plus up until day 8 I was allowed some foods like creamed soups, hot cereal, thinned mashed potatoes, and now I am only drinking stuff! So liquids in liquids out! I move around alot for my job...I'm a dog groomer and I can't say if it would be better to have a desk job or moving around all the time! I'm just scared I'm going to bend over to pick a dog up and it's just going to come out...lol So I am sorry I have no suggestions for you, but just think soon it will be over  Oh yea and definitly don't trust a fart!!
5'5" 26yrs old HW:288, SW:253, CW:225; Lost 35lbs pre-op, Mo1: 21lbs

amanda D.
on 11/27/11 2:28 pm - Stayton, OR
I had the same problem when i was on the pre-op diet, and for about a week or so AFTER surgery.  Now, it's the opposite problem ...so idk which sucks more, never being able to trust a fart, or not being able to when you have to lol

FancyRoses
on 11/27/11 11:44 pm - Lower Sackville, Canada
my pre op diet was the Atkins induction so i could eat meat no issues but i think my issues is with the artificial sugars in what i am consuming like the diet soda,crystal lights, yogurt etc  I'm fine till i have anything with it and wow poof or should i say splat.  I now home today is day 7 post op and I feel awesome but the diet is again with sugar free, diet and artificial sweeteners and again splat splat splat  ugh.   dint even trust a twist or a sneeze, cough **** dont move in any way at all.    
My goals to a healthy me            
Most Active