Dilemma...should I postpone surgery?

JenJune21
on 12/27/11 10:30 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
Another option is to apply for Care Credit. I used this. I was denied by my insurance for surgery twice. I told myself there is not way around it and I was going to pay for it on my own They have different options for payment back. I was approved for $5000. I used this and I took the option of paying it back in one year with no interest. YO can't be late on the payment or it will cause you to pay interest from the beginning. BUT it is another way to no deplete you saving and not pay interest and still have surgery now.

~Jennifer                            
KSqtpie
on 12/27/11 11:18 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Awesome...thanks for reminding me of this option! Of course, it still wouldn't be pretax funds but I wouldn't be depleting my saving immediately. I always worry about something going wrong and not having the cash to take care of it. I will look into this too. I love this board....everyone is so helpful. I have never had surgery or any medical issues that have impacted me financially, so this is all new to me.
JenJune21
on 12/28/11 12:00 am - North Las Vegas, NV
I know I love it too! So good luck, keep me posted on what happens! :)

~Jennifer                            
redsnapper1975
on 12/27/11 10:31 pm
Well, only you can really decide.  But, if it's at all financially feasable, I say have suregery now.  I lost 100 pounds in 6 months.  Come June will you be kicking yourself that you don't get to start off your summer saying the same?
~ Kim

SweetDreamGirl
on 12/27/11 10:41 pm
Don't postpone your surgery. You've put your life on hold long enough. I had my surgery in July, I've lost 85lbs to date. I'm like a whole new person. Don't deny yourself.  You have the money, you were going to use it.  Use it and put it back with payments to replace what you've spent each payperiod.  Why be recovering in June when you could be out enjoying June in your new body. 

Good Luck!!  See you on the thin side.
happyteacher
on 12/27/11 10:43 pm
 I use an FSA and it makes a HUGE difference on the tax bill at the end of the year.  I recommend that you do it, especially this year when it will be so easy for you to document the spending.  My family has a hard time keeping track of the receipts :(

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

slimpickins5280
on 12/27/11 10:51 pm - CO

It sounds like we have a similar Flex acct. and what happens with ours is that all of the money allocated into the acct is available January 1st. Then, we pay it back in throughout the year. The only real liability is if you were to leave the company before the year end, you would have to pay difference back.

Have you checked to see when the money will be available (all of it)?

Sorry if this is a dupl post, I didn't read the others.

I didn't wait. Our Flax plan would've started over Janauary 1st, but I had surgery in October. I'd probably do it again that way.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views