For those of us who have trouble eating chicken

slatond
on 12/4/12 3:52 am

Thanks for sharing... I'll have to try it!

Terry H.
on 12/4/12 4:10 am

My favorite is to crock pot boneless skinless chicken thighs with a can of rotel.  Mexican chicken with no fuss - great flavor, very moist, reheats well.  Always finish the left overs off on that one.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/4/12 8:42 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Rotel? That's the spicy canned tomatoes? I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

jubjub
on 12/4/12 11:57 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

OOOH. love the butter chicken myself.  I have this brand of "sauce" that comes in a moist packet - when I get home from India I'll send you the info - maybe you can find it in Canada...  It's quite good.  I prefer it to Patak - tastes a bit more authentic to me.  The only downside is you can't just scoop out a few tablespoons - you need to mix the paste with water and make a couple breasts worth at a time.

I too have trouble with chicken.  I've been told to use dark meat - more moist/fat and easier to tolerate.  I've been weaning off the white meat and into the dark-side more often lately.  

But I try to use the white  to my advantage.  It really makes me feel full and DONE eating after 1.5-2 oz, so if i'm coming in high on cals I use chicken to reach satiety fast....

Every tool has it's use :)

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/5/12 2:16 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
And I thought I was doing a lot of travelling! (Just got back from a weekend in Victoria, heading out to NB for a month on January 2nd)

I'd love the info for your brand. It's hard to imagine anything better than Patak's paste (not sauce) but I'm willing to sacrifice myself in the name of research.

You know something I find interesting? The way my "new normal" in portion sizes is starting to feel, well, normal. Last night's supper, for instance. Barry served my meal and knows the drill. 2 tablespoons of brown rice, 1/2 deck of cards' volume of chicken, about the same volume of sauce and 1/4 cup of steamed veg. I'd have laughed at anyone considering that a meal just a few months ago, but now it's perfect. Nice variety of tastes and textures, Fred comfortably satisfied but not full to hickyburp stage, let alone stuffed. (I hickyburp about 2-3 bites before "oh crap")

The restaurant meals the dietitian warned us about have become something I avoid - WAY too much food and I can make meals at home that I enjoy more. I do miss our favourite Indian buffet, but am thinking about going and buying the takeaway version, bringing it home and making it into several freezer meals for myself. Going to the buffet s a sit down meal? Simply not worth it. When a meal out is my only option I'm finding a cup of soup easiest, or I just order off menu.

I'm not a huge fan of dark meat other than when I buy a chipotle rotisserie chicken at the local grocery store. I'm going to try roasting just seasoned drumsticks and see how we like them. I know Barry'd be happy to try that (he's wonderfully easy to please) and 1 drumstick should be about right portion-wise for me.

I've discovered that I really don't enjoy feeling "full" anymore. Anytime I eat to "full" I have reflux for the rest of the day and sometimes longer, even though I take a PPI. Talk about negative reinforcement! If I stop at comfortable I don't get nearly the reflux, so comfortable has become my happy place.

jubjub
on 12/5/12 6:26 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Agreed - feeling full is feeling a bit sick for me.  I'm still working on portion sizes in restaurants but I'm very very disenchanted with eating out right now.  

The brand is "Kitchens of India"  - I like several of their seasoning mixes.

Here's the packaging:

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/5/12 7:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll be looking for it. Thanks Tom!

I totally agree about eating out. At least I'm not stuck doing it as much as you. Isn't it funny that something that used to be a treat is now something we actively avoid? Barry and I ate a total of 5 meals out during our 10 days in Honolulu, and that includes the hotel hot breakfast our first morning there and supper at the airport on our way home.

We took a tiny rice cooker, a microwave pot and single serving packets of protein drinks with us, shopped at WalMart for groceries and a smallish Brita (Fred hates chlorinated water) and cooked the rest of our meals in our hotel room. I loved being able to make simple, real food in portions I could eat instead of hunting on a menu for something that sorta fits and having to deal with leftovers.

danixbanani
on 12/4/12 11:47 pm - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I love alot of the crockpot recipes on skinnytaste.com.  Her Mexican Pork Carnitas are the best!  I don't really have recipes, I'll just throw whatever into the crockpot mostly.  Two chicken breasts plus half a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and BAM shredded buffalo chicken = delicious.  Shredded beef as well but I haven't found a recipe besides pot roast that I really love.  For parties, I throw in a bag of frozen turkey meatballs with a can of cranberry sauce and Heinz chili sauce.  Set it on high for an hour or two and the two sauces together make a sweet and tangy bbq style sauce, delicious with mini ****tail meatballs! 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/5/12 7:42 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll check that site out - thanks!

We have a potluck this coming Sunday and commercial turkey meatballs in the freezer. (too dry for poor wee Fred) I may well be taking sweet and tangy turkey meatballs as my contribution.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 181 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views