5+ Weeks Out = High Level of Dissatisfaction with Sleeve

maddiesun
on 12/12/12 5:04 am

Happiegirl! Thank you so much for posting and sharing Carmelita's blog! Very informative, and bookmarked for reference, consolation, and maybe re-shares for future OHers! 

Thanks!

hollykim
on 12/12/12 2:34 am, edited 12/12/12 2:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I agree that you need to focus on dense protein, REAL meat,chicken,pork seafood,that you cook YOURSELF.

i would also leave  off all the veggies,they are sliders for some people and the processed things often have addiditives ,like ,sugar that you may not be aware of.  Looking at your lunch, the only real protein is the shrimp at 17 gms of protein there are 13 carbs and 19 gms  dense protein  for the meal at 201 calories. if you added another ounce of shrimp at 17 gms of dense protein instead the carbs and no protein from the veggies,you might stay full longer and lose better.

Eating any kind of carbs,even good veggie ones,allows my sleeve,for some reason ,to hold more of sliders, AND more of dense protein,which can lead to over eating everything,and my sleeve is a 34F.

Same with dinner,IMHO,Looks like you are wasting a lot of needed space and calories on things you could leave off in the active losing phase. Eat up to 2-3 ounces of dense protein instead

Things like hummus start turning  the food in your sleeve to liquid way sooner,like soup does,so the body doesn't have to work as hard to convert it to energy. Not only does that converting process burn stored fat for energy,the whole point of the surgery,but it staying in the sleeve longer for processing helps with hunger. giving dense protein mushy stuff too just speeds up the process.

Excellent that you are tracking so you can see  where you might make changes.

GL

we are with you here. Hang in there,see about making some changes and keep us posted.
HOLLY

edited to add: when you are grocery shopping,in the store or online,are you checking the ingredients list in things like the salmon,hummus,and everything that goes into your daily  menu? You will almost always come out ahead nutritionally and financially speaking when you make it yourself.

lillypie9
on 12/12/12 3:15 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Wow! Thanks for all the support and input from people who have hunger. It just seems the majority of posts are the ones that go: "It took me all day to drink a protein drink", so it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I appreciate the suggestions about decreasing vegetables and increasing protein, and I guess I have questions about that. In the "Whatcha eating today VSGers" daily thread, it seems that people *****spond are barely eating any vegetables or fruit. How can this be healthy? I hate the idea of nutrients coming from vitamins and hey, I just like vegetables a lot. I'm a dork because when I was on clears and full liquids, I was dying for vegetables, not sugar and simple carbs.

I've been focusing on eating more easily digested proteins like seafood because that's what my guidelines said, but since I haven't really had any issues, I guess I need to add some beef and poultry and maybe increase my intake from 2 to 3 oz. I also forgot to mention that I've been making myself drink another 20 oz of water before I eat anything else.

NewtoYou
on 12/12/12 3:24 am
VSG on 09/10/12

I had surgery sept 10, so only 1 month ahead of you and I have been hungry since about 2 weeks post op!  I thought I was nuts since everyone else I know says they have to FORCE themselves to eat! I have to do the opposite!  I read all the replies, lots of great advice!   Thanks for posting!

Find me on Myfitnesspal! : MrsNewtoyou

:)

MY food is fuel, not a reward.  Its purpose is to sustain my body, not my soul.   ~ rhearob
Learning to love myself.

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/12 3:25 am, edited 12/12/12 3:26 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

:}  Folks rarely make posts about I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO POOP!!   I NEVER PUKED!!!  :} 

Its the nature of the thing. I like veggies a whole lot too, but my way of thinking is this (and you might have a TOTALLY DIFFERENT way of thinking, and that doesnt make either of us wrong, in my opine!!)

Nutrients - I am going to be able to fit more in the more I *can* eat, the further out I get.  I need to figure out how to keep satisfied and not so hungry I could eat my neighbor's arm 30 minutes to an hour after I have already eaten a meal.

Job 1 - figure out how to stay satisfied and get my protein in.

Job 2 - after I can fit in my most important things - water and protein, now I can fiddle around with things I need, but to a lesser degree.  I need to see how DOES eating those things work with my hunger or fullness or satisfaction? 

Whatever vitamins/minerals we need from veggies we *could* get from somewhere else if we needed, and too, if you are still drinking shakes, you have more room for just veggie meals to satisfy your veggie tooth! 

But when the question is - how can I make the meal in my belly last for longer than 30 minutes - then see about more dense things and how that works.  Also know this - bodies change, what we need/want/crave changes, but for me, the first order was to get to know my new anatomy and how I could feel satisfied with my meal longer, and by "full longer' I mean "not hungry as soon" I dont mean "like lunch is backed up my throat and touching my uvula. "  :}

How things are now might not be how they are in the future!  Just see how to make NOW work first, and then tomorrow will present challenges of its very own! 

Learning and growing every day, we are!

lillypie9
on 12/12/12 3:37 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Makes sense to me. :-)

anninva
on 12/12/12 6:29 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

I LOVE you Brandilynn!  just had to say it! xooxoxoxoxo

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wildcat-NYC
on 12/12/12 11:36 am
VSG on 08/16/12

So glad you back on OH!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
edelu
on 12/12/12 4:02 am - los angeles, CA

I didn't lose my hunger until week 5.  I was eating more then and at week six and for 3 months than i am eating at 16 months.  They can be temperamental.  I had huge buyers remorse until the lack of hunger thing kicked in.  It was like a catch 22, I'm still as hungry but i can't eat enough to not be for more than 30mins.  It was the worlds cruelest joke.  Hang in there and check back in in a couple of weeks.  You may not be one of the ones who never feel hunger but I'm willing to bet that back bone gnawing killer will be tapered.

By the way i eat vegetables with every meal, from a tablespoon of salsa to steamed spinach also my i makes veggie snacks.  like cabbage, eggplant and red peppers, asparagus with a little pancetta,, brussel sprouts with balsamic.  I just cook up a pound of something and then have it when hunger strikes with minimal calories.  it takes a minute to learn to navigate this huge step we took. you'll get there.

Hang in there.

Keith L.
on 12/12/12 3:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

At about your point I was hungry and I could eat a lot too. I was worried that maybe I didn't actually have the surgery. I was taking it easy but I never felt full and I did feel hungry frequently. I did some research and it turns out the hormone Ghrelin which makes us hungry can stay in your system for a long time (like 2 months). So it is possible you feel actual hunger. I sometimes feel it when there is no way I can be hungry. That's when I know it is acid or head hunger. I had to take a lot of PPI at that time too. Now I barely take it. I am just about 13 weeks post op. I doubled up on my dosage and that seemed to help. I used Prevacid.

An interesting thing happend somewhere around 6 or 7 weeks. I started to feel the restriction that everyone talked about. In fact it seems like I can eat less now than I could at 5 or 6 weeks. My advice is to measure everything at this point. It is very painful the couple of times I have eat one or two bite too many.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views