Weight is coming off slower than I'd hoped

jan1114
on 12/31/12 12:11 am

I'm down a total of 32 lbs since my pre-surgery diet, which means I'm only lost a total of 18 in 5 weeks since surgery.  What the heck is wrong with me?  I see other people on here that have lost like 40-50 lbs in the same time frame and I'm jealous!

synthangel
on 12/31/12 12:17 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

What is your starting weight? Those with less to lose tend to lose slower. Also are you exercising? Even a short walk a day can really get the pounds off.

MomofMarch
on 12/31/12 12:18 am, edited 12/31/12 12:19 am - GA

That's actually a pretty good rate! Remember, that at points you will have some stalls. I went up and down a pound in the last week. I attribute it to hormones and my body just working things out on its own. I suggest you get a tape measure and keep track of your arms, chest, waist, hips, and legs. That's what I am doing. When I see my weight stalling, I check my inches. Sure enough, I'm dropping inches and not pounds. I was also told that people lose at different rates due to shape and body mass. Hang in there and be patient. It's going to be better to lose it slowly. Good luck!

Shagdoll
on 12/31/12 12:19 am

I know it's hard to not compare your weight loss to others because I was the same way but we all lose at different rates.  Lightweights wont lose as much as people who were heavier before surgery too so there can be several reasons.  I wanted so bad to lose 50 pounds in my first 3 months because 2 of my other WLS friends did but I only lost 48.  I know I came close but still, I was disappointed but my weight continued to come off at a decent rate and even with several stalls, I still lost 120 pounds in less than a year.

If you really think about it, 18 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome.  I could have never lost 18 pounds just dieting alone before surgery.  I think you are doing fantastic.  Stay on plan and the pounds will come off.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

mddevine
on 12/31/12 12:19 am
VSG on 10/18/12

I am down 33 pounds since my surgery - Oct 18.   And, I too saw other people that have lost much more weight in the same amount of time. Then, I started measuring my body - waist, hips,  forearms, calves, neck, etc.  This is where I saw lots of inches disappear.  Try it and see what happens.  THis way, I am not relying totally on that scale to show myself that I am making progress.  Also, I keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race! 

moonglo82
on 12/31/12 12:30 am
VSG on 03/29/12

What kind of preop diet were you on?  It sounds like you may have lost a pretty good bit before surgery.  In people who lose a lot on the preop diet, sometimes part of the big loss that we tend to see immediately post op has already happened, making us think that we are losing slower than those who did not have a preop diet.  These people aren't really losing "slower"... they just lost more up front, and we all typically lose more in the first few weeks and then slow done a little.  Sounds like your first few weeks started before the surgery, if that makes sense. 

Also, as others have said... don't compare yourself to anyone else here.  You're doing great, and there are so many other factors that contribute to our rate of loss (age, starting weight, health conditions, amount of sleep we're getting, body composition, stress levels to name a few).  A friend of mine and I went to the same doctor for surgery and had the sleeve one day apart, me ahead of her... we started at about the same weight, and she's ten years older than me and is taller, so she had less to lose than I did.  One might assume that all of these factors combined would mean that I would lose faster than her, but that was not the case.  It bothered me for a while because I was totally jealous lol, but now, nine months out, I've lost about ten pounds more than she has.  Lesson learned: it's not a race. 

Keep up the great work! :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

aaeavtive_gm
on 12/31/12 12:36 am - MD
Don't be jealous just work your journey. There is no rush because this is a lifestyle change.

slimpickins5280
on 12/31/12 12:49 am - CO

3.5 lbs a week! Wow! Congrats!

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Spencerella
on 12/31/12 1:43 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
So for the sake of comparison, I'm down 30 pounds since my surgery on October 16. I'm eating low carb, 70-80 grams protein, about 600 calories a day. Even with that strict regime, my weight loss has been steadily slowing since my first month. Yes, it's hard to hear about those big losses, but there are some of us who are losing more slowly than you too! Keep your eyes on the prize.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

happiegirl
on 12/31/12 1:55 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Some lose fast and some lose slow. I wish I was one of those fast losers. All you can do is keep it low carb high protein and enjoy the ride down. No matter how long it takes. Plus losing is the easy part. Maintainence now there is the challenge of a life time. Don't be discouraged just keep trying. I know how you feel because I too feel like my weight loss has been slow.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views