How do I broach VSG with my husband?

MrsPapaBear
on 3/26/13 8:27 am, edited 3/26/13 8:57 am
We've all been there, right? I know I need to lose; I know that diet & exercise are great but not effective; I know the tool is right for me.<br />
<br />
Buuuut, my slim husband has only heard horror stories and seen WLS zombies. He is open to the fact that there are probably a thousand ppl he's seen who've had WLS but he couldn't tell it because they were successful. But two things:<br />
<br />
I'm not SMO so he doesn't think I'm "big enough" for WLS<br />
He loves my curves. He does! <br />
<br />
I'm pretty sure he will love thin-me as much as chubbilicious-me because every girl he was interested in pre-me was less than 150lbs. But I think he is happy with status-quo & still thinks of ALL WLS as the same. I have been able to dialogue with him on this being as my mom has VSG, so there is a dent being made about the differences there. And he's not a selfish jerk or an unsupportive moron; there's no doing this with or without him whether he likes it or not; we are ONE so what I do to my body I do to US! We have a very loving and supportive relationship. Besides if he's not on board, my ability to pay for it is nil.

My question is: What were some of the specific sentences you used to broach the subject with your spouse? How did you overcome common misconceptions and less-than-perfectly-informed objections? What were some of the positive things you helped your mate look forward to IF you went ahead with VSG? What were some of the things about VSG that made it more palatable to your honey?
Chris Waffle
on 3/26/13 8:30 am - Cypress, CA
Chris Waffle
on 3/26/13 8:32 am - Cypress, CA

Tell him you want a divorce and when he starts getting upset/confused/angry say, "Oh did I say divorce? I mean vertical sleeve gastrectomy".  He'll be so happy you don't want a divorce, he won't care what you want to do.

You're welcome.

Join me at #OH2013

HW: 375 SW: 295 CW: 195

I'm in it to win it!

MrsPapaBear
on 3/26/13 8:43 am
That was awesome ha
Jls8877
on 3/26/13 9:18 am
Lol!
Bella_Fein
on 3/26/13 10:05 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

That's hilarious! I didn't tell my husband that, but I did tell him "we need to talk" and was very uncomfortable and serious about it, which terrified him, lol.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

JenniferRN
on 3/26/13 8:33 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

The first time I brought it up with my husband was three years ago when my family doc recommended I think about it. At that point my husband was against it.  Then we had two friends who had success after their WLS. We spent a week on vacation with one of the ppl and we both watched how careful she was and how much energy she had after her weight loss.  I looked into surgery in my area and found that my doctor does a seminar. I asked my husband to go with me. After the seminar we asked the surgeon questions. After the meeting, my husband was all for it. He loved my curves but it REALLY enjoying my new smaller curves!

MrsPapaBear
on 3/26/13 8:43 am
Yay great suggestions
jpsp30
on 3/26/13 8:41 am - TN

Is he "really" against it? Or uninformed about it and therefore resistant to it? Perhaps educating him about the procedure, results, lifestyle, and success rate would be good for him if he can look at it objectively.

He may love your curves; but he probably wants you healthy too. So, there is a lot of logic involved in the conversation. LEt your Dr. talk to him too.

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

MrsPapaBear
on 3/26/13 8:46 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views