Scared

Ellen0509
on 4/3/13 1:30 pm - NJ
I'm new to this forum. Not even sure if this is where I should be posting. I'm 43, about 300lbs. Two kids under 8 & know this is he right thing to do for my life. I just really worry about recovery. Can I handle, recovery, kids, husband & then back to work in a week or two? Then I worry about possible complications. ??? So worried & confused. Seminar is next week, appt with surgeon is a week later. Thanks for listening.
mickeymantle
on 4/3/13 3:20 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

its do able but you will need your hubbys help , no lifting for 6 weeks , no driving for 1 week, most people go back to work if there is no lifting after 2 -3 weeks

what are the complications if you don't get the surgery, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, painful knees and back

the heavy you get the less you can do that makes you get heaver

with a good surgeon the surgery is safe , they test you for everything before surgery

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Minemake14
on 4/3/13 7:31 pm

I believe you will find many posts that say exactly the same thing as yours....fear of the unknown is normal...take a breath, relax- one minute of worry will not answer any questions:) If " You know this is the right thing to do for your life" the rest is informational....Everyone has a different experience, no one can predict what will happen but I will tell you my recovery was flawless. Home 30 hours after surgery, no nausea, minimal pain, was up and about and back to work in two weeks.  Get a really experienced surgeon with a great staff, you will be fine.  I have absolutely no regrets about the surgery.

ravenbrown
on 4/3/13 11:37 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I can't tell you what your experience will be like, but I can tell you mine.  I only have one child who is a toddler, but other than not picking her up for two weeks (I was told four, but I couldn't wait that long) there were no issues taking care of her with my husband's help.  I could have gone back to work the second week, but I'd taken the time off so I chose to take that time to make freezer meals, read and exercise.  I was able to drive three days after surgery as long as I wasn't taking the painkillers. I don't know what kind of job you have, but you should probably take at least two weeks off.  Talk to your surgeon about your fear of complications, and hopefully he/she can make you feel better.  I told my surgeon at my last pre-op appt to not kill me on the table, and he discussed what the possible complications were, what he does to mitigate the risk, and why some just happen but their occurrence is rare.  Good luck

Ellen0509
on 4/4/13 9:44 am - NJ
Well, my dreams of having this surgery are over. Our health insurance company informed us today that our last day of coverage is April 30th. So, seminar cancelled. I have to think positive and pray we're either reinstated or my husband finds a job with benefits. Thx everyone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views