Constipation and fear of the Bathroom Scale

hollykim
on 4/9/13 6:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Good deal. If you are constipated right now and havent gone in 2-3 or more days,it is first a job for milk of magnesia. you got to get things cleared out first. then your "program" will keep you going from there. and yes,a glycerine suppository can be a Godsend when things are coming out hard.

loverofcats
on 4/9/13 6:00 am

When the stool is hard and difficult to pass, a glycerin suppository works wonders. Also, if you are not eating very much, you might not have very much to pass.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

tia47
on 4/9/13 6:31 am - cleve, OH
I'm curious and pre op but...
Miralax does nothing for me but gives me nasty gas. My loving hubby brought me Senakot w/mineral oil in it. Works gently but effective. Band people go through this too so I know it well.
My curiosity revolves around Magnesium Citrate...maybe a couple table spoons or half bottle?
.I used it yesterday for pre op and was gentle on my gut.
Any thoughts?
Nanato2
on 4/9/13 6:32 am, edited 4/9/13 6:33 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Sara

I have been constipated for a week and my back was killing me today and pains in stomach from not going. It was there but wouldn't come out because it was so hard so I took three Senokot-s tablet this morning and I just went. Funny thing is I weighed myself this morning and afterwards and I lost 4 lbs by going to the bathroom. 

Doctor also told us since we do not eat much not going for three or four days is normal.

Going to start taking metamucil daily to keep me regular I hope.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Starr16
on 4/9/13 8:18 am - WA
VSG on 02/21/13

Aloe tablets or aloe juice has always worked for me….the tablets more so. For me they work better than Miralax. I have had a hard time getting enough liquids in and my food consumption is very low so there is no traditional fiber intake.

Also, I have really noticed that my #2s are very small anyway and don't happen every day. My guess is it is because my food intake is minimal. Mostly broth and maybe a 1/3c of yogurt and a BabyBell cheese. I have a possible stricture that will be reviewed again next week.

HW: 276 SW: 275 GW: 155 Height: 5'9'' Surgery date: 2/21/13

sarapilar
on 4/9/13 8:26 am, edited 4/9/13 3:24 pm
VSG on 02/21/13
We have lots in common - same surgery date, too! And possible stricture, too. I will look for aloe tablets. Thanks!
"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Starr16
on 4/9/13 9:04 am - WA
VSG on 02/21/13

We sure do, and we will get over these bumps on the road that is leading us to paradise!

At my one month appt my surgeon gave me the option to hold off any tests for one month. He told me that I had to promise to TRY and eat more foods, not just soft ones. I am just so scared of throwing up (which seems to happen every 1 to 2 days, sometimes more than once a day).

I had a few reasons to hold off tests to determine whether a stricture is present or not:

1. I tend to choose the “safe” food so I think I was holding myself back from progressing
  2. I really don’t want to fail at this and MUST lose the weight. “More restriction less food”
  3. I am a self-pay cash patient so everything costs $$$

I am still not sure what to do….

I just know that I MUST drink more water and get my protein in!!

I did go out to Red Robin with my family this last weekend and did great. I ordered the French Onion soup with no bread or cheese and a side of steamed broccoli with lemon wedges. I was able to eat the all the broth (not onions) and two small trees of broccoli. That felt like a HUGE accomplishment. I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything.

I am also going to start using the blog on here too so that when I am having a tough day I can look back and know that I also have good days. The bummer days just seem to stick out more in my head.

Sorry so long.....

HW: 276 SW: 275 GW: 155 Height: 5'9'' Surgery date: 2/21/13

lisaamorales
on 4/9/13 9:30 am - CA

I am 2 weeks post op and i just wanted to ask some questions.  per doctors orders i have been told its not necessarily what you eat its the consistency.  So I have just been chopping things up real real small.  Not exactly what he said but sort of.  Am I gonna regret it?  Also I saw on you tube that someone 3 weeks out was eating 4 oz of food!  I can barely eat 2 Tbsp.  Its so hard to make sure I am doing this right.  I hate to talk to people that don"t know how I feel I would rather talk to people who have been there and down that.  Please friend me on here or give me some words of advice  Thanks so much.

sarapilar
on 4/9/13 9:39 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for posting, but, I am so new and I have actually been struggling with my own VSG complications and such, so I'm not a very good person to ask.  I hope others can chime in.  Or, maybe post a new post on the Forum here?

Wishing you lots of luck and success!!!!!!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views