VSG - Easier or Harder Than Expected?

starry957
on 4/28/13 1:58 pm

Hello!

I felt like my recovery was way easier than I expected - but different than I expected as well.  Physically, everything was great (except for the ongoing constipation issues - don't let this issue get out of hand, believe me!).  I did not use any pain killers and was back to work at 2 1/2 weeks. 

Lately (I'm about 3 1/2 months out), I have been pleasantly? surprised by my restriction.  It changes from daytime to evening and on some days I feel more and others less.  I am happy to say that drinking water is absolutely not a problem and I don't have to take little baby sips which I was worried about as I have always required alot to drink.  "Sometimes" I experience a bit of food boredom...but that's ok because it reminds me that food isn't supposed to "entertain" me...it is fuel.  I rely on a number of WL friendly recipes and try a new one every few weeks just to experiment.  Even my kids have liked some of them!

One challenge I have had, or at least noted, is that planning is essential.  When you are on the run, or out for the day, you really have to think about snacks, water, etc...before you go out.  It's absolutely a must for me.

Mentally - I feel like I'm at the easier part of things and I am well-aware that maintenance will be harder.  The weight has come off a little faster than I had anticipated, and I guess that's ok, though I do worry about what will happen when I get into maintenance.  From what I read on here, and in my own experience, thus far, it is about balancing and some choices (within your program of course), are going to be different for different people.  It is a pretty personal journey, even with a program to follow.  Finding what works for you is part of it.

At this point, I can only say good things about my decision!  Best wishes!

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

LilPMommy
on 4/28/13 3:54 pm
Starry your experiences sound a bit like mine and is very encouraging. To see that u are losing the weight is exciting to me becuz I thought since its so easy for me to drink water maybe the "Feeling Restricted" is not there!
starry957
on 4/29/13 12:05 am

Yep - it's weird isn't it?  I read about some that have trouble getting in all their water.  There are some days where I can drink and drink and drink...which is good - I'm so relieved about it!  I also read somewhere tha****er doesn't? stretch things because it goes right on through..

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

JAlston
on 4/29/13 2:22 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I think that recovery was harder then expected. I had a c-section in 2011 that was a breeze and was warned that the sleeve would be easier, I disagreed.

I think that overall, VSG has been easier then I expected. I did start making lifestyle changes well before surgery. I stopped drinking soda in April, stopped caffeine in September. Things like that. I am enjoying life more, because I feel better. Simple things are easier because I weigh less. My outlook on everything has changed because of how I feel, how I feel about myself, how I feel because my body feels better (I have worked out 3x a week since 5 weeks post op, even when I dont want to I do it because I feel great afterwards).

This was the best gift I ever gave to myself. I have said I wish I did it sooner but I think everything happens for a reason and this was my time. I was finally ready mentally. My outsides are finally matching who I am on the inside and that feels awesome. A vet posted a couple days ago about how the sleeve levels the playing ground for you to get your mind wrapped around your new lifestyle. There are always ways to slip up, smaller stomach or not. It's all about the choices you make.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views