Just over two years post op and struggling, looking for help

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/13 2:50 am

I am going to echo the "get back to basics" sentiment, but I want you to be aware that it really isn't that simple to do. You will have to be prepared (have the right foods at hand and clear the house of the crap) and you will have to have a lot of strength to get through the first few days to a week. It won't be like that first year. I know that when I need to get back to basics, it is a big mind game the first two days. I have to have a very strong resolve to not "cheat" with carbs. That's why I'm learning to really limit my carbs even in maintenance. It sucks sometimes, but it's my truth.

Love your idea about the jerky. I relied heavily on the stuff during weight loss. The sodium wasn't an issue for me, so why not, right? Protein bars, granola bars, etc..... nothing but candy bars in disguise. I will eat on occasional Quest bar when I travel, but I can't say I use them as a staple in my diet. I eat one and want another. I try to stay away from foods like that.

Anyhow, glad you're back and getting on track. Keep coming back here and letting us know how you're doing.

Escape_Pod
on 5/7/13 6:22 am

I've struggled myself over the past year, gradually getting further and further off track, but I'm determined to address my problem areas and get to goal this year.   Protein bars are totally a gateway drug for me, I have to be extremely careful with anything sweet.

I have a toolbox of strategies I've built to help myself with snacking.  I log my food.  I've gotten in the habit of setting a timer on my smart phone for 45 minutes when I finish breakfast or lunch to make myself wait before drinking - I tend to have trouble stopping eating, and that helps me somehow.  Once the 45 minutes have passed, I have a goal to drink a certain amount of water, and that usually keeps me away from food until the next meal, or at least stops the grazing.  If I'm really desperately fighting the munchies I use breath mints, sugar free gum, or brush my teeth.  I've found a nutritional supplement that's also been a big help for me with sugar cravings.

I also found it really helped for the first week of getting on track to sit down and journal for a few minutes.  It was a way to consciously focus on my goals and my motivation for staying on track.  It's hard to resist a sugary temptation in favor of a vague, long-range goal.  I find it much easier if I've been thinking about very specific goals and rewards, and if those goals are very conscious, front and center in my brain.

Finally, I found it really helped to set small, short-term achievable goals.  A feeling of success is a hugely helpful foundation for more success.  Targeting small changes and focusing on successes makes the fight easier.

You can do this! 

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

snowbaby
on 5/7/13 10:29 am - Durango, CO

Hi, I'd like to know what the supplement is called that you take to keep sugar cravings at bay?

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

sarapilar
on 5/7/13 7:06 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Welcome back.  I am new here, but love to see "The Comeback Kid" ;-)  You are awesome for that awesome first year, kuddos to you!

I can relate to the health / physical probelsm...I am experiencing a lot too right now myself, and it makes all of this so much harder...

You did the right thing by coming back here and asking for help and support, this is an awesome Board, and I know you can get back up on the beam.

Keep us posted - and keep posting!  Studies have shown that those who post daily in a support online forum for food / weight loss do better than those who don't, and who isolate. 

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

dot4you
on 5/12/13 1:46 pm - CA

Hi Wildfan, Thanks for posting about your struggles...I totally understand. The good thing is you're here now. Before this goes any further. I'm 5 1/2 years out and up 20lbs but thanks to "getting back to basics" High protein , low carbs, lots of water I'm down 4lbs.

I have not been on these pages for a long long time until recently. I don't want to think I "have to". I want to be a "normal eater". I've had 85% of my stomach removed and I'm not "normal" yet. LOL...I have an issue with food, I use it for everything I'm feeling. I graze and graze...I have made the choice to stop that and because of VSG it's easier. 

I find that my tool is still there & when I decide to work it, it come through for me.

You are not alone. It totally sucks gaining weight & having tighter clothes!!

I wish you the best & hope you continue to check in here & tell us how you are doing.

I'm going to give it a try. Doing it alone wasn't working for me.

Best of luck!!

Most Active