For All You Sleevers:

VSG on 06/12/13

Welcome, Hannah, I am a recent switcher. I am worried about giving up pain relievers for my blown out knees (but hoping I won't need them after surgery). I'm also worried about reactive hypoglycemia. I switched docs and I asked my new doc about sleeve vs RNY and he told me that I would be less likely to complain of low blood sugar this way than with RNY. Initially I was nervous about having part of my body *removed*. Having parts still there but in a different configuration somehow seemed ok.

You don't mention what your starting BMI is, but I read an article by a doc here the other day that said that if you are in the 35-40 range you will be more likely to hit 100% EWL regardless.

Good luck in your decision.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

debk21
on 5/24/13 7:26 am - Mansfield, TX

Well sweetie, I'm 2.5 years out and down 140 pounds.  I reached goal (at down 121) in 12.5 months and then just kept on losing.  I could not be happier in my decision to do this and will absolutely NEVER regret it.  When I walk into my closet choose a size 4 pair of pants to wear that day (seriously, this is like an out of body experience for me and still shocks the poop out of me), how could I ever regret that...along with my increased activity, health, energy level...I could go on and on...

This was the right decision for me.  I hope you find the answers you are looking for and make the right decision for you, whatever that may be.  Good luck to you in your journey!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

ShelleKarena
on 5/24/13 7:42 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I was also faced with that decision rny vs vsg.  Ultimately I decided that VSG was the better choice for me.  I have read quite a number of people who have had the VSG and were SMO or MO and did just fine and are at or below their goal.  I was not too keen on the whole malabsorbtion portion of the program for rny, but I know that I can get the ds at a later date with the sleeve if I have to get it done.  Also I liked that removing the greater curvature (VSG) can reduce the amount of hunger hormone.  Like some others on here have stated, I don't want to loose the ability to take NSAIDs.  Also I had my gall bladder removed and have experienced a mild version of dumping syndrome and it was horrible.  I never want to feel that again!  I also did not want to lose my pyloric valve.  It really  comes down to what you feel is best for you.  I would encourage you to get involved with a local support group for bariatric surgery as they can also help you.

Still Fawn
on 5/24/13 3:44 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
You do not come out of bypass surgery weighing less than you went in- you probably will weigh more sue to them pumping you with fluids. That will be the same with any surgery. Otherwise, I think I answered you in the Mai forum. Welcome to the sleeve forum!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views