Yo Yo Weight History

Nikke2003
on 8/9/13 3:16 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

My insurance, Highmark Blue Shield, had the exact same statement - verbatim. I was worried about this because I hadn't seen a doctor in 7 years!!

The way my insurance company explained it to me was that I had to submit documentation showing that I was over a BMI of 40 more than two years ago. I had one piece of documentation from the doctor from November 2005 and that was enough for me. I was FREAKING OUT about it just like you are... but hopefully your insurance will work in the same way - especially since they use the exact same language.

The insurance rep explained to me as they just want proof that it wasn't like six months ago that you first had a BMI of 40 and now you want to deal with by having surgery. They just wanted to see that the problems has been around for more than 2 years.

DEFINITELY call your insurance office and explain it to them so that you can put your mind at ease (I know it's hard!)

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 8/9/13 3:29 am
VSG on 11/25/13 with

thank you SOOOO much. 

Vanessa_M
on 8/9/13 5:07 am

I am hoping that you get approved right away. I have Aetna and was denied because my BMI dropped to 39.6 at one point during the 2 year time period. What my surgeon told them was that my weight is / could not be controlled w/o surgery. My original date was 11/1. I was denied the Friday before surgery.  

My point is to be prepared with solid reasons for the yo-yoing. I had to go through the appeal Process and was sleeved 4/30. Just hang in there!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 8/9/13 6:04 am
VSG on 11/25/13 with
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like if I just submit the info for the dates where my BMI was over 40, I should be fine, huh? I mean, they don't say you need to provide proof of your weight EVERY year, just that you've been over 40 bmi for at least two years, i think...
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views