Daily Reqs

see_saw_run
on 11/16/13 10:51 am

Hi VSGers!!!

I'm one day shy of being one month post-op. I'm down about 32 lbs. so far and have a question.

I feel like I have experienced a lack of guidance as far as nutrition goes.  All I know from my nutritionist is to be over 80g in protein daily (which I'm still having a hard time with, since I've discovered I can NOT tolerate the whey flavor post op) and between 600-800 calories a day. 

Does anyone know, within these reqs, how many carbs and such would be ideal? I'm very number oriented, and I think I'm still stuck in that dieters mentality that I am expecting it all to be laid out for me, and in reality I am the one making the choices. 

I'm walking about 3-6 miles a day on most days, and want to make sure I have enough to keep my energy up, but also not go overboard. My head hunger and the timing of my meals is causing a bit of a struggle. So, if anyone has any advice on how you got yourself on a good schedule while meeting your daily requirements, I'd really appreciate it. 

My biggest fear is failing myself. I appreciate being able to come here and read over your conversations to know I'm not so alone in it all. :) 

Ms_J
on 11/16/13 11:25 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13

Since I know that protein is the top priority and fat is the bottom priority (carbs being in the middle), then I would follow the Atkins carb rule - only count sugar carbs and keep them below 20g/day. Fiber carbs don't count (in fact, they are good carbs).

see_saw_run
on 11/16/13 11:29 am

Thanks so much for your reply!!

I'm getting more and more acquainted with MFP every day, and I've been paying more and more attention to my daily counts. Thank you so much again, the numbers definitely help! :)

-Sarah

brynn3
on 11/16/13 11:43 am - MI
VSG on 10/16/13

try the unjury unflavored protein. I add what I want to it and I can finally drink my protein shakes again.  I couldn't stomach them after surgery.  The rest I feel as much in the dark as you about.  lol

Brandy

see_saw_run
on 11/16/13 11:53 am

right? it's just this endless cycle of things! and i feel very educated on a lot of things related to surgery, but then something else comes along i find myself knowing nothing about. thanks for your response, i will definitely try the unflavored unjury. i ordered the chicken flavor before surgery and ended up having to return it :(. i've been mostly on Premier lately. and the chocolate is just getting old old old. is that your main source for protein now? 

thanks again!

brynn3
on 11/16/13 1:09 pm - MI
VSG on 10/16/13

Yes protein shakes are my main source still.  I am still on liquids for another 2 weeks, then on to the next phases!  I am really tired of protein shakes I have been only drinking one when I'm working, so I have to start making sure I get more than that each day.  I think the  hardest thing right now, is I can eat 400 calories very easily and it's barely anything I've eaten.  I just worry how I'll stay between 600-800 calories each day.  That seems impossible even though I guess we eat very little at a time. :)

Brandy

see_saw_run
on 11/16/13 8:31 pm

So you were on liquids for how long total? You're right, it is a nice change to move on to the other stages, even though at this point I'd be okay if I never saw another pureed food! 

I didn't have too hard of a time getting in the calories right in the beginning, but even though 600-800 seems like very little, it feels like a LOT at this point. I'm so amazed on a daily basis how much this tool really restricts our ability to eat large quantities. It's pretty amazing! :) 

Nikke2003
on 11/16/13 8:23 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It depends on what kind of plan that you follow - different people do different things around here.

I choose to be between 600-800 calories, less than 25 grams of TOTAL carbs (I count them all), between 90-100 grams of protein and at least 80 oz of water, usually 100 oz.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

see_saw_run
on 11/16/13 8:32 pm

Excellent, thanks so much for sharing your daily! I really appreciate it. I have tried to stay away from carbs mostly, so I don't think the 25 g should be a problem. The protein right now is my issue, I can do the liquids but the protein is killer. 

And holy moly! Congrats on your progress! You're definitely an inspiration. 

G5x5
on 11/16/13 8:26 pm - VA

You can't go overboard with walking at this point.  Walk all day long if you can manage.  Just stay hydrated.

On meals, I kind of had the same problem early on.  I quickly shifted from three meals to four (with no snacking).  By spacing my meals out 3-4 hours daily that solved two problems.  It cured any between meal hunger and made it easy to get the protein in.

Drink water all day.  From the time you get up until you go to bed.  You should comfortably hit 100 ounces a day.  Literally, all day long you should be drinking, eating, or waiting the half hour before and after meals.

i believe in low carbs during weigh loss phase.  That means like 20 grams.  To get that, the majority of your meals will be lean meat protein then add light filler in as you can.  Stay away from fruit and processed foods which will likely contain more carbs.   I manage this daily without any use of protein supplements or shakes.

I think part of the reason they don't give out a clear plan is that by figuring out a pattern that works for you, which meets the guidelines, helps make it stick for you in the long run.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Most Active