Where are the "heavyweights" at?

Nikke2003
on 12/21/13 9:47 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I started the six month supervised diet (required by insurance) at 444 lbs and was 338 on the day of surgery. Now at 214.2 lbs, that puts me at exactly 230 lbs lost in a little over 13 months. I cannot be happier with my decision to go with the VSG.

I will say that I was/am a sugar/carb addict as well. I really had to make a big change in order make this all work for me. At almost 7 1/2 months out from surgery, it definitely had become more and more difficult to resist temptations. It's important to make sure you work through your food issues with a therapist and come up with strategies for staying on track or getting back on track if you've gotten off your path.

It certainly is possible to lose that amount of weight with the VSG - definitely hard work!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

happyteacher
on 12/22/13 3:53 am

Hi Stacy,

I have lost a little shy of 160 pounds, but feel confident that I could lose more pretty easily.  I was diabetic and have a HUGE problem with sugar.  My surgeon did recommend the Rny for me, but I knew the sleeve was my choice.  Rny will cause dumping if you eat sugar, which will absolutely force you away from it.  Early on with the sleeve I did a fantastic job of no sugar, and by a couple months out naturally lost my taste for it.  But, once I started eating it again I deal with the sugar devil daily.  I felt pretty confident about my being able to manage it better, but in hindsight I do wish that I just skipped sugar because it would be easier... thing is, with the sleeve it is ridiculously unlikely I would just give up sugar on my own.  So, back to Rny.  Because I teach young children a huge factor for me was the fear of dumping, and having to run out of my class and being that sick that fast... it just is not a good fit for obvious reasons.  I am ADHD and sometimes without even thinking about it I will take a bit of a birthday cupcake or what have you, and I was just worried this would occur post Rny and create job issues.  

So back to the idea of Rny and preventing the eating of sugar.  Do some soul searching.  I had an extended period in my childhood and early adulthood that I managed sugar beautifully, and felt that I could work towards that again.  It helped a lot having previous experience in my youth with being very fit and exceptionally mindful of nutrition, because I knew if I did it before I could do it again.  What the sleeve versus the rny versus the ds means to you though is a very personal journey.  

DS is statistically the most effective, but with significant malabsorption issues with vitamins and such.  I forget to take my medicine all the time, so this ruled out DS for me... but if you are more reliable with that then again, perhaps that is a better fit.  I would suggest making a list of pros and cons for each option and really consider carefully what type of supports would be most likely to not only get you to goal, but be something that you can maintain for life.  

Good luck in your journey.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

rthomas
on 12/22/13 4:30 am - bham, AL
I was 535 lbs starting out I had RNY I also have a thing for sweets still do. And its a problem Well Feb 10 2014 Ill be 4 yrs out I lost 265 lbs but I have regained with my lasy baby Ive had three babies since surgery and I would love to lose 40 lbs I gained 53 lbs with my last baby and Ive lost30 of that I dnt dump on all sweets just certainthings I do plan on talking to my surgeon I also had a panniculectomy last year.
71dart
on 12/22/13 6:50 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I was 555 lbs at first consult. Currently at 265 lbs. in 16 months and still losing. 

Sugar addict? Yep!  At first I followed the rules, then I had to deal with the reality of my addictions. Therapy was necessary and without it I would not be doing this well.

As for dumping; maybe it's because I've detoxed from sugar, but now if I eat sweets, I get a nauseous sensation that I consider to be like dumping. I don't care for it. 

I wish you the best of success as you commence your journey. Cinch the belt tight, it's gonna be one helluva ride...

Tom 

Miss150
on 12/22/13 9:01 am

Hijack--- Tom-- Oh, my Gosh-- look at you!   Carry on, friend.  Bonnie.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Ladytazz
on 12/22/13 12:33 pm

A word to the wise.  No surgery will malabsorb simple carbs such as sugar.  My inability to come to terms with my carb addiction led to me regaining 100 lbs with my first WLS, a DS.  Not only did I regain a lot of weight but I had a lot of intestinal problems that were worse because of my eating.  My own opinion is if you know you have an issue with food that should be addressed early on to ensure the best success no matter what surgery you have.  WLS is not a cure for compulsive overeating and food addiction, no matter what some people have experienced.  I liken it to an alcoholic having a liver transplant.  If they don't quit drinking then the new liver is bound to fail as well.  If nothing changes then nothing changes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views