Caffeine

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/14 2:24 am - Canada

I'm a tea drinker...full caffeine, herbal..I love my tea. My clinic says no caffeine but in the hospital it came with the clear fluid diet.  I decided for myself though that I wasn't giving up my morning English Breakfast tea and got the go ahead from my NUT to still have it right from the start with a splash of milk.  Turns out it was the best decision because since my surgery almost 3 weeks ago it's been the only liquid that I can get down in abundance.  Without it I would be really dehydrated now.  It settles my stomach in the morning when I wake up nauseated because it's too empty.  I tried a bunch of other liquids at other temperatures; even herbal teas but this one tea seems to be the only thing I can get down and not feel gross.  I saw my surgeon on Wednesday and told him and he said, "Well then I guess you'll be drinking lots of tea!"

The important thing right now is getting the liquids in, IMO, and I think mentally if it makes you feel good and isn't hurting your weight loss then it goes a long way to keep you on track for everything else.  Once I've had my morning tea I am able to wait my 30 minutes and eat.  I tried that without drinking first and with water/juice/gatorade and was so nauseated I didn't want to eat again all day.  That's the result I want to avoid!

Mike B.
on 1/10/14 2:25 am
I started drinking coffee again about 4 months after surgery. I am over two years out and have had no problems with drinking coffee. The only problem I have with coffee is, when I don't drink it. No one wants to be around me.
Your co-worker should talk with her doctor about the whole caffeine issue. What works for most, may not work for her.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 171 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 448 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 470 views