My NUT told me VSG promises 100 lbs lost

Spencerella
on 4/16/14 3:00 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Cricket I'm sorry that this thread is scaring you. To clarify, the sleeve is an excellent tool, but it won't do the job all by itself. It will take a lifetime of good habits and vigilance, but those things are completely achievable when you have the sleeve to help you.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

CricketGail66
on 4/16/14 10:54 am

ty

blair94
on 4/16/14 3:02 am - Oklahoma City, OK

How much weight are you hoping to lose?

1- if you can afford the D/S surgery and are not afraid of the mal-absorption issues it can cause, GET THE D/S! There are some definite drawbacks to D/S...such as cost, malabsorption, and vitamin deficiency issues down the road. D/S wasn't for me.

2- I truly believe that VSG is the second best option out there for people losing 150+ lbs (second to D/S surgery) and the BEST option for those who need to lose 150 lbs or less. It can work for you, no matter how much weight you are determined to lose! VSG has a much lower cost than D/S and, more surgeons perform this surgery (less likely to have a surgeon "screw up" for lack of better terminology). VSG rarely causes vitamin deficiency issues and has a higher success rate (so far) than RNY. 

That being said, do your own research and if you truly are still having doubts-- think it over before going under the knife!!!

Message me for my Instagram/Facebook/Twitter details.
southernlady5464
on 4/16/14 4:28 am
On April 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM Pacific Time, blair94 wrote:

How much weight are you hoping to lose?

1- if you can afford the D/S surgery and are not afraid of the mal-absorption issues it can cause, GET THE D/S! There are some definite drawbacks to D/S...such as cost, malabsorption, and vitamin deficiency issues down the road. D/S wasn't for me.

2- I truly believe that VSG is the second best option out there for people losing 150+ lbs (second to D/S surgery) and the BEST option for those who need to lose 150 lbs or less. It can work for you, no matter how much weight you are determined to lose! VSG has a much lower cost than D/S and, more surgeons perform this surgery (less likely to have a surgeon "screw up" for lack of better terminology). VSG rarely causes vitamin deficiency issues and has a higher success rate (so far) than RNY. 

That being said, do your own research and if you truly are still having doubts-- think it over before going under the knife!!!

I ONLY disagree with part of what you post...

The DS is best for those with less than 150 lbs to lose IF your metabolism is completely busted. Mine was...a VSG would not have helped me even tho I only had 63 lbs to lose.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Shagdoll
on 4/16/14 3:37 am

Exactly what Linda Spencer said!!!

ANY WLS is a tool.  It's how we use it.  There is a reason there are many successful VSGers but it's those who stay on program during weight loss and maintenance.  If you feel you are ready to commit to this surgery with the help of your VSG "tool" you are on the road to success.   Best of luck to you!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Tracy D.
on 4/16/14 4:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Cricket - one thing you'll figure out real fast from reading these boards is that NUTS are - for the most part - horrible sources of information when it comes to actual medical advice.  THEY ARE NOT DOCTORS; they are supposed to be "experts" in food and nutrition (although I've read some real scary advice that NUTS have given out to WLS patients) but they are definitely not experts on bariatric surgery, outcomes and what can be accomplished.  

I second what Lisa J. says:  this particular NUT probably sees patients from one clinic only so she has tunnel vision when it comes to what can actually be accomplished with the sleeve.  My surgeon's practice has numerous people who have lost well over 100 lbs. with the sleeve.

It wasn't a magical gift they got and there was no promise made that they would lose weight:  they had to WORK for it.  You'll have to work hard with ANY surgery out there.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jackie T.
on 4/16/14 3:31 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

For me the most important thing to remember is that if you are not going to be compliant for the rest of your life then you are not going to maintain your weight loss.  It does not matter whether you have VSG, RNY, DS or any other surgery.  I have lost between 120-125 lbs with basically no effort and have been maintaining this without any effort but I am also still eating what I was eating a year ago.  All of my meals are dense protein first.  If I don't do this then I am hungry and want to eat more.  For me, I will need to eat this way for the rest of my life or I will put all of the weight back on.  I don't feel deprived nor do I crave those things that I should not eat.  If I let myself eat them a lot then I would be in trouble.  I eat to survive, I don't eat for pleasure or comfort anymore.  It is a total mindset change.  My ticker still shows I want to lose a few more pounds but I don't know if I will or not.  I am happy where I am and my body seems happy where it is.  If I started exercising I could probably get the last few pounds off but that would be to a healthy bmi and is below where my PCP thinks I should be and way below the target of where my surgeon put me. There are many people that have lost well over 100lbs with little effort but if you look at national averages then their statement is probably correct but I think it has more to do with compliance more than which surgery you had.  Again this is only my opinion for what it is worth.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

happyteacher
on 4/16/14 3:42 am

Your doctor is not so good in her stance, as it appears that she is setting you up to not go all the way.  And why wouldn't you go all the way?  Well, for starter believing that nonsense,  I ost 150+.  I can start or stop my weight loss as needed,  Post maintenance, I had a couple of times I had to real it back in and I had no issues.  Lots of folks here lose weight after the first year, lose over 200 pounds, over 300 pounds... so don't set yourself up.  Make your goal and act like there is no other option but to reach it.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Lisa J.
on 4/16/14 4:06 am - OK

I guess I'm confused....she advised you NOT to have VGS prior to surgery? And you HAD VSG anyway? Have her talk to the gal a few posts after you who has lost about 200lbs....

You have to take a grain of salt I think, with any advice. That NUT probably only sees pt's from ONE clinic and therefore it's going to be the bulk of whatever the most popular surgery is from that given surgeon. By not venturing out into free forums like this place, how in the world do you rely only on what YOU see? She simply didn't giving good advice in my opinion, but it was likely only based on HER patients. And you cannot ever lump everyone in because not everyone is as vigilant as the next person and include wellness, age, activity level, tolerance etc....you get a mixed bag and I still believe that well over 80% of any group of VSG's anywhere (if we could ever get a reliable number) would rave about their weight loss and accomplishments. I do know from this site that there have been a few, very few, failed outcomes due to unforseen health issues with constant vomiting, ulcers, and the like. Poor things.

But YOU control your VSG and you're rocking it!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/16/14 4:28 am

Complete and utter crap. First off, she is a nutritionist, not a doctor. Second, she is placing the responsibility squarely on the surgery rather than on the post op. Third, she has no place telling pre ops what surgery is best for them since she is not a doctor.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views