Canceled LapBand Surgery for Sleeve. Alaska patient.

JerrieH
on 5/16/14 5:19 pm

I spent seven weeks in the hospital after getting gall bladder out and getting infection.  The band nearly killed me, either directly or indirectly.  Thank God you are going with the sleeve.  Dr. Gregory Walton in Oklahoma City is advertising the sleeve for $9995.  Good luck with your journey.

pineview01
on 5/17/14 1:53 am, edited 5/17/14 2:10 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations on making a smart decision.  I had the band and the last people that should get a band (I don't recommend it for anybody) is self pay.  Surgeons like the band as it is the WLS that keeps on giving.  In order for it to work at all you need tons of fallow up, fill and unfills and almost every single person, even those that "love it" have had to have a second surgery.

Not sure why they would charge more for the sleeve unless it is because they want the same amount that you will end up paying for that band.  Most places that advertise prices charge about the same and some less for the sleeve now.  

Glad you have found some place you can afford to do the sleeve.

It's to bad they are turned off by Mexico.  If you read the Mexico boards and research you can find some surgeons and hospital that people have reported better stays and out comes than here in the states.  I was going if the insurance wouldn't give in and pay for it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 180 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views