GIRLS:Help!

sdkitty
on 7/25/14 11:56 am

I'm a little over 5 weeks out of surgery and I just started my period for the THIRD time since surgery! What is going on? 

Also they used to last 5 days and were very light, now it's more like 10 and very heavy.

I called my gyn and she said if I'm not soaking through tampons and clothes I'm ok, but this is really frustrating :(

we have a beach trip soon and I'm so afraid this will ruin my vacation. This is happening while I'm on birth control. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how long does it last? :(

Gwen M.
on 7/25/14 12:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It's not abnormal for people to have weird periods post-op because of the hormone dumping.  Even on birth control pills, I started spotting in the middle of my cycle post-op.  Annoying, but it'll resolve eventually.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jlgordo
on 7/26/14 10:44 am

Hello, may I ask what a "hormone dump" is? I am 7 weeks post op, and thankfully I do not get periods anymore ( I had a partial hysterectomy) but my other question is, will I still go through hormone changes? As I have been feeling kinda sluggish the past week. I still get the symptoms of my monthly, however I just do not get the period. Thanks for any one who can chime in!!

Nata-Sleeve
on 7/25/14 12:46 pm

I had my period the week before surgery, so I thought I was in the clear. Then I started IN the hospital the night after my procedure. Grrrr! Its still going strong almost 4 days later. No idea what is going on. 

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

Annievvho
on 7/25/14 12:54 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

It is completely normal after ANY surgery for the trauma to cause your cycle to reset. No one warned me pre-op about this phenomenon, so I was shocked that I had told the intake nurse before surgery that I just got through with my period (I have an IUD and typically spot for a couple days, but don't have a big period except every now and then...I had an actual period) a couple days before surgery, and then the day after, mother nature brought the gift back with a vengeance, and I bled every week and a half or so for the next few weeks. It starts as a trauma reaction, and then the hormone dump caused by the rapid fat loss (where hormones are stored) causes the next few weeks of torture. Apparently, this has a lot to do with many surgeons recommending iron supplementation while menstruating post op. My friend who is an ICU nurse was like, "No one told you you'd probably get a period immediately after surgery?!?"

Jaime P.
on 7/25/14 1:29 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

I've had this problem before on my birth control after some major stressers. Literally like 6 periods in two months when I'm supposed to get one every 3 months. My friend suggested I stop taking my birth control for a few weeks and let my body get back on track on it's own. I stopped for a month and that worked. When I started taking the birth control again everything was back to normal. Good luck. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

mickeymantle
on 7/25/14 3:38 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hormonal birth control can not be trusted while you are in the weight lose phase , hormones stored in your fat mess up your cycle , and may prevent birth control pills and other hormonal birth-control from working right

you need to use a second non hormonal method to be safe (rubber, non hormonal iud, ect)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Jennsumner722
on 7/25/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

Try getting the paraguard it's non hormonal and works as soon as they put it in!

AuntieH
on 7/26/14 2:11 am
VSG on 11/20/13

This happened to me too. I was on birth control pills but I was having heavy periods lasting up to 3 weeks. I am iron deficient (even before surgery) so heavy bleeding is a no-no. My GYN switched me from the low dose birth control pills (lo-ovral) to a higher dose pill (lutera) and that solved the problem.

Allison L.
on 7/26/14 3:05 am - Berkeley, CA

Interesting .... this happened to me too and it was attributed to damage from the catheter. But I wonder if it actually WAS a period?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views