Am I being silly?

healthyme1963
on 8/1/14 7:36 am
RNY on 03/18/14

Stand your ground!  If she is adamant about the RNY, then she is obviously not the doctor for you.  Good luck!

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

Rachael R.
on 8/1/14 7:39 am - CA

I just want to thank everyone for your honest opinions. I thought perhaps I was being a little bit stubborn not thinking seeing things from her point of view but you guys pretty much validated my thoughts. I think she did a good job on my co-workers but it is not the surgery for me. I just need to keep looking...

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

skeller
on 8/3/14 11:30 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Well, also take into account that you are talking to a bunch of people who are committed to success with the VSG. :) 

Is your surgeon fully explaining her reasoning for recommending the RNY over the VSG and you don't agree, or has she been unable to explain herself logically and fully? In the end, you're the one who has to live with this decision, and so you need to follow your instincts, but I would make sure you and your surgeon understand the issues in the same way before going for any procedure. Best of luck!!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/1/14 7:45 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon gave me the option of either the RNY or the VSG.  After researching them both, I knew I was better suited with the VSG.  My weight was much higher than yours is now (I'm 5'-7") and I couldn't be happier.  

I think this a case of a surgeon who isn't comfortable performing a VSG so she's trying to push you into the RNY.  DO NOT SETTLE FOR SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT.  I understand that it may take time and energy to find a surgeon who meets your needs, but you don't want to regret your decision after your body has been cut open.  Trust your instincts.

I haven't reached my goal weight, but there are plenty of people who weighed over 400 lbs who've had the VSG and have been successful.  My surgeon said that you will lose more weight with the RNY initially, but that at the two year mark the results are extremely close between the RNY and VSG.

Good luck with whatever you choose.  Surgery is just a small part of the process.  It's your mindset that will help you reach your goals.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Rachael R.
on 8/1/14 8:14 am - CA

I was looking for people with a higher weight than me but I felt like a creeper/stalker lol I am already in the mindset and ready for the surgery already. I have lost 10 lbs this past 6 weeks from tracking my food intake and upping my water intake massively. I joined a gym and have been going 3 days a week for 8 weeks straight. I just need this last "tool" to really help get me to my goal.

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/1/14 8:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Don't worry.  I did the same thing  

I figure if THEY can do it, so can I.  It's not impossible.  Good for you for losing weight, exercising, tracking your foods and drinking lots of water.  Those are the lifestyle changes that will make you successful after surgery, so it's great to start programming them into your mind now.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

BurberryPlaid
on 8/1/14 8:32 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

I'm pre-op but to me, any doctor who won't give you what you want is not worth continuing with. (This includes a surgeon or a primary care who either won't refer you or who tries to push you in a direction you don't want to go in) 

That said, I would try to find someone else. Only you can decide what is best for you. If you really think VSG is for you, go for it and know there are others who were at a higher weight than you who have been successful and you can be too! Good luck!!

Ihearttennis
on 8/1/14 8:38 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

For some inspiration use your magnifying glass at the top of the tool bar and search Nikke2003 and Luv2Cruise. These ladies have rocked their sleeves and you can learn so much from them. Good luck with whatever surgery you choose. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Jordan B.
on 8/3/14 9:48 am

Rachel- I had the VSG on June 4th- Don't let them talk you out of it. I can honestly say I am so glad my surgeon didn't question my decision. I chose the VSG for the same reasons you did- AND we have very similar height and weight starting points. Good luck!

HW 345 (01.2014)  SW 324 M1: 21 lbs m2: 14 lbs m3: 10 lbs m4: 15 lbs

jillbeme
on 8/3/14 11:39 am
Revision on 07/29/14

Speaking from experience if a surgeon doesn't want to give you the sleeve often it isn't you it's them.  My previous surgeon begged me to do the rny I was 243 &5'5".   I only lost a few pounds but after my revision. I learned that the previous didn't really know how to do the sleeve.  Mine was a mess and I was told that I should contact a lawyer...   I don't know about that yet though.   Good luck

Jill     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views