Has anyone here had the VSG and attempted to do a ketogenic diet afterwards?

angel22_99
on 8/5/14 8:22 pm
VSG with

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!  The post op guidelines I received scream low fat - now obviously, on the liquids stage, I will be low fat (the protein shakes are relatively low), and I don't plan on adding back red meats until it is time.  Not that I have the best track records with dieting (hello bariatric surgery, LOL), I have always stuck with the ketogenic ones longer. So we'll see how it goes.

As a side note, I agree and really wish the medical community would come around to this type of diet.  It's known to help (or even cure) diseases like diabetes, epilepsy in children, and a host of other neurological diseases and no proof it causes heart disease.  

greensleeved
on 8/5/14 10:59 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I'm only a month out and haven't had the opportunity to eat much, but I am using full fat mayo to make chicken salad and plan to continue to use full fat dairy (I'm not a big beef eater). I don't think you can let your fat consumption go out of control, but since our losing weight is based on restriction that means we can only hold a small amount. So I don't put anything in my mouth that I don't really love. 

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

MAchick
on 8/5/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I don't know if I would call my diet ketogenic, though sometimes I am in ketosis.  Your body does not need to have high fat to enter ketosis

Right now I'm in ketosis, I could tell by the taste I've had in my mouth the past couple days. I told my fiance it tastes like I'm sucking on a penny lol. Low and behold, the scale has dropped like 4 lbs this week. .. Which doesn't usually happen seeing as I'm six months out and close to goal. 

Regarding fat,  I don't limit my intake. I try not to eat fried foods or bad fats often,  but I regularly have cuts of meat with fat,  full fat cheese,  avocado,  olive oil, and cream in my coffee. My recent six month labs showed my cholesterol abd triglycerides are great! 

happyteacher
on 4/17/16 5:39 pm

Yes, it can work. You still need to be mindful of your daily total caloric intake though. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views