Still craving sweets and hungry. 6 months post-op

Quanita L.
on 10/21/14 11:35 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi Renee

I'm not sure about your hunger.
But not everyone can maintain a low carb lifestyle long term and you definitely do not have to in order to lose weight or to keep weight off.

Sugar does taste nice and your body does think yum that's nice I would like some more yum
Your body does the same for fat

There are some who find it easier to say no to everything  forever (carb wise) because they feel out of control if they don't
There are others (like me) who are not able to ban foods entirely without it having the opposite effect (ie I will eat more if I know I 'can't have it' or it's banned).

So I will allow myself to eat whatever I like but make sure it is planned and controlled and within whatever rules I set for myself
Example I know I tend to want more sweet items when I am PMS (quite dramatically) and so when my cycle is predictable I will exercise more or eat less a few days before and a few days after and I will have a chocolate or a piece of cake or whatever.

There are lots of ways to help yourself to do this less often and to help yourself with portion control. Finding something that works for you is the key.
For some cold turkey works, if you think this will ultimately work for you, then go for it.

It is not the only option, doesn't work for everyone. And if you are not one of those it works for, it doesn't make you bad or a failure.

I too am a night snacker, I use distress tolerance tactics (trying to let myself feel the hunger to test how long it lasts or how bad it gets and what if anything happens if I don't feed it), and also have preselected these are the things I am allowed to have if I absolutely have to have a night snack. So I take one of the allowed snacks and leave.

Hope you are struggling less and feel better using any of the advice that works for you

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

ElizaM
on 10/21/14 11:51 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

The only way to stop craving carbs is to stop eating them. I've been there too many times to count, so I know what I'm talking about. You will only get the monkey off your back if you stop today. Do not wait to tomorrow.

Get your carbs to 20g for a few weeks and see if the cravings subside. Eat as much fat and leafy vegetables as you want. Fat will keep you from getting so hungry. You can't really overeat fat the way you can with carbs. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views