Tips/Advice from a 7 year Sleeve Veteran

Laura_S
on 3/23/15 2:14 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

Thank you for your post. I am only in my first week post-op, but I can see how it would be easy to slip over the years. Did you find yourself eating more often, larger portions, or just the "wrong" things? I have to say it's hard for me to think that a healthy long term plan involves banishing all carbs for the future and I am sometimes amazed at how little people are eating in their daily check-ins just to maintain a normal weight, but that does seem to be what works for us. I think it's a great reminder of how closely I'll need to keep on top of things for the rest of my (hopefully longer) life. 

Ht: 5'6" HW: 254 SW: 225 CW: 180  VSG 3/17/15 with Dr. Matthew Rawlins

LngRedRose
on 4/2/15 4:44 am

Definitely not larger portions... at least not for me.  BUT definitely eating the wrong things.. and all.day.long.  It finally starts catching up with you. 

Hugs, Karen R. (Mom to TWELVE incredible kids)
Louisiana 

Allison L.
on 3/23/15 3:43 pm - Berkeley, CA

Terrific post! I really value your input. :)

LngRedRose
on 4/2/15 4:45 am

Thanks!!!

Louisiana 

GranPear
on 3/24/15 1:21 am

I always remember the words of my surgeon Dr Pomp: I am operating on your stomach, not your brain. I am 2 years out with a verticle sleeve. Lost more than my goal (140) and am ever vigilant. Good luck to all and i have found in talking to people ( I have led a few support groups) that if you can conquer the psychological issues, you have to loose weight and then keep it off. 

LngRedRose
on 4/2/15 4:45 am

Those words are SO very true.  I wish they did do something with our brains during surgery!! LOL

Louisiana 

hollykim
on 3/25/15 4:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

glad you are having success. It takes a lot to stand up and be responsible for ourselves ando ur choices instead of looking for excuses. I commend you!

Lionetta
on 3/29/15 3:54 pm - AZ

Wow, thanks for posting! I can SO relate to everything you've said. My surgery was about 4.5 years ago, and I was only 25 pounds from goal when I started eating carbs and not following the rules. Even though I still have great restriction, my weight slowly crept back up. When I stepped on the scale 2 weeks ago and saw just how much I'd gained, reality hit like a ton of bricks. It wasn't hard to beat myself up, but because I did, I immediately got back to basics and started following the rules. I'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks and am more determined than ever to get to goal, or below. I also started taking Prilosec again because acid problems were making me think I was hungry, which is probably why I started eating carbs in the first place. I have a big sign in my bathroom ...take thy pill. I am embarrassed, but I readily admit I blew it. My own fault, and it's my own responsibility to be true to myself by getting back on track. Ticker updated, am using My Fitness Pal, and back on my exercise bike. I hope we can support each other on this journey. You are right ... our VSG is a tool. Hugs ....

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

LngRedRose
on 4/1/15 2:14 am

I am now down 12 lbs since posting this.  I am watching everything that passes through my lips!!  I would love to be a WL buddy! :)

LngRedRose
on 4/2/15 4:46 am

Yep... I have only myself to blame!!

Louisiana 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views