My Horror Story - Band to Sleeve Revision

Karen D.
on 5/18/15 12:27 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

How awful!  OMG!  I'm glad you're on the mend.  Did you have the band taken out and revision done in 1 surgery?

Take care!

elliebean78
on 5/18/15 1:31 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

HOLY CRAP! Glad you're doing better. what a nightmare! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 3:21 pm, edited 5/18/15 3:22 pm

Thank you for sharing your story - awful as it is! It is important for pre ops to know all sides of WLS surgery.

I'm so glad you are on the mend and doing better. It will be a long road to full recovery and I wish you all the best.

While I'm not a litigious person, I do believe it would be in your best interest to have an attorney write a letter for you out lining the inadequate care you received while your surgeon was away. The PA should have done the minimal of taking your BP and temperature. Since you fully described your symptoms and they indicated dehydration and difficulty drinking, the PA was negligent in her care, in my opinion.  At the very least, the surgical practice of your surgeon ought to pay your hospital bills.

Best of luck and all the best for a complete and full recovery.

glamlamb
on 5/19/15 11:46 am
VSG on 01/19/15

omigosh, that is very scary, and the support staff really let you down. you were clearly describing signs of dehydration that should have been taken so much more seriously! my doctor told me many times that the main thing that gets patients readmitted is dehydration, so they should have been ON it. glad you're here to share the story.

ocean37
on 5/19/15 6:30 pm - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

So sorry to hear of your complication. I also had a leak so I understand how hard it is.  Big hugs to you!!

Leaky Sleeve Survivor - 2013/2014

Highest Weight - 370 lbs, Weight at Surgery - 333 lbs, Current Weight - 207lbs

lianna
on 5/20/15 6:30 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am so glad that you are on the mend, and that you had saw a great gastro that was able to repair the leak!  I hate that you had to go through this ordeal... it sounds horrid. 

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

jackfre
on 5/21/15 3:18 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

I want to Thank you all for your warm wishes.  I am so thankful to have this site to come to and for so many caring people with so much good advise.  I have been following since 2006.  I am usually very quiet and don't say much.

I am very tired so it is hard to stay at the computer for any extended period of time. 

I am extremely weak, still able to get the 50/50 in and the surgeon is ok with that for now, he said it will take time with all I've been thru.  Saw lung Dr.. I was thinking maybe my breathing was causing the exhaustion - he said Lungs are clear.  went to my PCP for blood work - he said I may be anemic - this would actually be a good thing - Iron injections would help.  If not that it may be my heart since I did have a heart attack - testing for that next week.

I wake up in the morning feeling like I will be able to do something today -but my body just wont let me, I'm so weak.  

All of the Dr's have told me that it's a miracle that I'm here.  My PCP really gave me a wake up call yesterday - he said that I need to realize how close I was to death.  They did not expect me to make it, everybody thought I was going to die, he said that the drugs they were giving me including the Michael Jackson drug, they normally only give to patients that are at the very end.  I broke down in tears, I knew I was in bad shape but didn't realize how bad. 

I am so Grateful to be here!!!

I am not a litigious person at all, but I don't know what I am going to do in this case.  I know that leaks happen and I don't blame the Dr. for the leak, that is a risk we all take.  I do however blame the Dr. and his staff for not recognizing that there was a possible leak and for the staff making me believe that if I drank more I would be ok. 

My medical bills are already over $750K, I expected to be out of work for only 3 weeks, it's now 8 weeks and counting, FMLA is only 12 weeks - I can't afford to lose my job...

Thanks again for listing to my story and for all your responses.

Jackie

Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 478 views