Is it possible for your body to rebel against weight loss?

Amy M.
on 5/19/15 2:02 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you Sarah.  I have seen you on the forums since the very beginning of my journey and knew that you were along the same timeframe as me :) Congrats on your success and thanks for the advice!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/19/15 1:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Gwen was right on the money. Starvation mode is bullcrap. Most people are at 800 calories at this point. Increasing your calories was a mistake. If I was you, I'd cut back. Your loss will pick up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy M.
on 5/19/15 2:02 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you.  That's definitely what I'm going to do.

Tracy D.
on 5/20/15 9:04 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm agreeing with everyone else on going back to 800 calories a day.  And since you are exercising consistently, up tha****er to 100 oz. every single day.  No excuses.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Catwoman77
on 5/19/15 1:44 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi Amy - I'm in a similar place to you, although your initial loss was quicker than mine, it took me 10 months to lose 100 lbs (surgery was 5/2014 and I hit the 100 lb mark around 3/2015).  I've been losing abut 4 lbs a month on average for the last probably 4-5 months.  It's frustrating, but I feel like it's just a function of having less to lose - I'm now technically at a "normal" bmi, so I am only looking to lose another 15-20 lbs I think, so I am just resigned to the fact that it might be slower now.  However, I think the advice about calories above is right on - I heard somewhere that weight loss is about 90% diet, 10% activity (I don't have anything to back that up, but I think the jist is correct that it's pretty much all about the food)  I too eat about 1000-1100 calories, but I am ok with the slower progress right now as long as it keeps coming off.  If it slows down any farther or I just get impatient I will readjust, but I think the extra time might be helpful for me from a mental/emotional point of view, as my head needs time to adjust to my new body.  Keep us posted on how you do if you decide to adjust calories and good luck to both of us on reaching our goal soon! :-)

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Amy M.
on 5/19/15 2:07 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you for your response.  I have to say it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this but at least, for you, you've reached a normal BMI already.  I would expect a lower loss at a normal BMI.  However, I'm still at a BMI of 30 and still considered "Obese."  That's why I'm so frustrated.  However, I will definitely reduce my calories back down to 800 and see if that boosts my weight loss.  I'll definitely post back in a few weeks with an update.  Thanks again for your advice and congrats on your success 

Noragretz
on 5/19/15 6:48 pm
VSG on 09/05/14

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

(this is a previous post I made, I'm telling you -you are working out too hard!)

Hi there everyone, I hope u all are doing well. I haven't posted in a while here but I just wanted to pass along some great info from my NUT. I have had some VERY slow weight loss. So I started tracking everything. My fitness pal for calories and food journal, heart rate monitor for exercise, polar loop for daily activity/calories burned. I gave it to my NUT, asked how I could be consuming 900-1000 calories a day, burning 400-600, and not be losing. 

My NUT lectured me! My body is not a calorie counter, it's a chemistry lab! You see even though my calorie count was low, I wasn't making the best food choices. A bite of brownie here, a slice of bread there. Sugar here, carbs there. 

On top of that I was doing lots of high intensity cardio. Run 3-4 miles then do weights. Or some kind of intense cardio for 40 - 50 min. Now running puts my heart rate into the 80% zone or more if I'm really going fast.  

I was craving bad foods and sugar, I was super hungry and not losing weight.  

Anyhoo... This is what I was told to do.... 

Protein first! (Duh) vegetables too. 
No fruit for 4 weeks. 
Start taking probiotic (I wasn't taking it) 
stop counting calories. 
No bites of anything. Just stop that now! No bread!!! 
Eat more fats (healthy fats) 
No more cardio - lifting weights only

She thinks I was having an overgrowth of yeast (because of the cravings and constant hunger, and lack of poo) 

Also the intense cardio is stressing my body too much and I'm producing too much cortisol causing me to stall.  

So now I lift weights, walk on the treadmill keeping my heart rate in the 60-75% range no higher. I'm keeping my sugar consumption to under 15 grams carbs are under 25 grams. 

I'm pooing daily and the scale is moving again. Thank the lord!!! Oh and since I'm still tracking in my fitness pal I see that I'm actually eating more calories now 1200-1300 and burning less at the gym. But the scale is moving.  

Boggles my mind!! But I just wanted to pass along this info. I know a lot of us lightweights are more prone to probably exercising too much like I was. 

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

more2adore
on 5/19/15 9:52 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

Starvation mode is a myth? I'm not so sure. I'm 2 months out. Everyone says that if you do all the right things, you'll lose. Well, I AM doing all the right things. Getting in MORE than enough water. Protein first (80g daily or more). Low carb. All my carbs come from healthy sources, not from grains. I've been staying between 700-800 calories. It should take 2700 calories/daily to maintain at my current weight. I am eating less than a third of that daily. And yes, I'm sure - I weigh, measure and track EVERY bite that goes into my mouth. STILL I am not losing. :( I lost the first week post-surgery, and then a little here and there, but for the most part it is stall after stall after stall. People who had VSG around the same time as me and are MUCH smaller are losing more... what happened to "the bigger you are the faster you lose?" That hasn't been my experience at ALL. 

My doctors are actually saying they are concerned I'm not losing faster than I am and they don't understand why. I'm afraid when my surgeon's office calls to check up on me in a few weeks they'll be disappointed with my weight loss, too, and may  not even BELIEVE me when I tell them I'm doing everything I'm supposed to (I'm sure they've had plenty of folks lie to them about that!) But I am. I'm hugely motivated as I want to maximize my weight loss so I can have a baby in a couple of years and I'm working my arse off. SO FRUSTRATING. 

My NUT just told me to take my calories up to 1000-1200, just like yours did. I'm willing to try anything at this point. :(

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

ElizaM
on 5/20/15 1:32 am, edited 5/20/15 1:32 am
VSG on 07/24/14

According to your ticker, if I'm doing the math right, you've lost 39lbs since surgery. Is that not right? If I were you, I would not up your calories, personally. The weight will come off. Some weeks you won't lose weight, some weeks you'll drop a lot. But you are only 2 months out. You HAVE to be patient.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

more2adore
on 5/20/15 8:09 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

That is right, yes, but I lost 25 pounds of it in the first 12 days after surgery. I lost for 12 days, stalled for 16 days. Lost for 6 days, and have now been stalled for 21 days. I understand stalls happen, but my stalls are WAY outnumbering days when I'm actually seeing weight loss. I was able to tell myself not to to worry about it and stalls are normal and the weight will come off, until my doctors got concerned that I wasn't losing faster! And this is supposed to be my "honeymoon period" where I lose the fastest! WTF. Frustrating. 

VSG 3/28/2015 | HW 600+ | SW 488.2 | CW 398.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views