no drinks 30 min before/ during/ of 30 min after meals...

lcraver
on 5/26/15 9:06 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

Well, I am still early out (surgery on 03/02) and I do for the most part not drink 30 mins before and after eating. Now there have been times that I have taken a small sip if I need it and that goes down okay. But, if I take a normal swallow of liquid right after (or during)eating, it is physically uncomfortable for me.  You get use to not drinking while eating.

I also still cannot take big swallows when I am not eating... I was so used to gulping everything (drink and food) and I still struggle with this at times.  Honestly, I can see where pre-surgery, I was probably downing 3 or so glasses of sweet tea during a meal and I am sure it very much contributed to my weight.

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

tink929
on 5/26/15 9:20 am

Thanks so much for this information.  I had no idea why we couldn't drink during meals.  I had a rough time this weekend since it was so hot, I had a piece of turkey burger from the grill, and it was soooooo hard to wait 30 min to have a drink.  I ended up having a sugar free popsicle to help cool me off. 

Sleeved on 5/7/2015 

tawbattle
on 5/26/15 9:48 am
RNY on 08/26/14

I had RNY surgery 9 months ago today, and this has been one of the biggest struggles I've faced so far.  I agree that having a meal without drinking something is hard to get used to.  My surgeon told me that drinking water with a meal won't harm you physically, but you you won't get full because the water pushes your food through too quickly.  Essentially, your brain doesn't get the message that you're full.  

My surgeon also suggested eating on a timer so I literally set a timer to ring 30 minutes after my meal so I know when it's okay to drink.  

ashley5886
on 5/26/15 10:41 am
with

That is really interesting, I'm going to do some further research now as my nutritionist only told me that it was a precaution to prevent discomfort.  He also said this about not having carbonation etc.  So now I'm interested in looking into this.

emelar
on 5/26/15 10:50 am - TX

Carbonation is more about discomfort.  It would have been VERY uncomfortable early out, but now I'll have a carbonated beverage when I want one.  I can't chug it, and I burp a lot, but I can have it without it hurting!

Tracy D.
on 5/26/15 10:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The 30 minutes before isn't "forever"...but the 30-60 minutes after should be.  At 2 years out, I still wait 60 minutes to drink after eating a meal.  One reason is because if I don't then my tummy makes horrible gurgling noises that are audible and embarrassing in a social setting.

Second, that liquid pushes the food out of your stomach faster (read Pyloric Valve 101 on this forum - do a search) and I need it in there as long as possible to keep me feeling satisfied.  

Don't be tempted to circumvent this "rule".  You are sabotaging yourself by doing so.  Every single person I know IRL who has gained back weight after WLS said this was the one rule they stopped following...and lived to regret it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Lillydivine
on 5/26/15 7:24 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I was told to stop drinking 10 minutes before I eat and wait an hour after I eat before I drink. Honestly, I drink up until I eat and wait about 30 minutes after I eat to drink. I try not to drink while I eat. Sometimes I do if something is really dry or spicy. But it is a very small sip, enough to get the food down. As far as I've been told, this is a forever thing.

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

poplargreys
on 5/26/15 8:00 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I can drink right up until a few minutes before I start eating, but the idea of drinking with my meal or immediately after... bleurgh. The one time I took a small sip during my meal to get a flavor out of my mouth left me feeling nauseous! I was only advised to wait half an hour after eating to resume drinking, but at 8 weeks out I can't stomach anything until 45-60 mins after I've eaten.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/15 9:07 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

My NUT tells everyone just to stop drinking 5 mins before and not to drink for 30 after.

gwen41539
on 5/27/15 11:40 am - kimper, KY

Im a former lap banded still waiting to be sleeved but I still don't drink with meals I broke this habit with the band and keep the practice and im glad I did...when I eat.out lol they always ask if I want a drink I always say I don't drink with my meals ...They look at kinda odd like but I don't care lol...if you don't have it there with you u can't drink.it just don't pour it or.buy it etc...it will get easier..I promise...

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views