hiatal hernia and sleeve anyone have it?

happyteacher
on 7/31/15 3:06 pm

Had it fixed. It did bother me more than the stomach surgery, however, please know that IMHO the entire recovery was smooth sailing and well worth it. The gas pain/issue for me that we all experience for the first 3 days or so was worse, and that wasn't that bad :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Emilyr0011
on 8/1/15 4:22 am
This was exactly my experience. I had the surgery in the AM, released to go home following AM so no additional stay. I just followed the same recommended clear liquid post-op diet plan and proceeded as normal. The gas was by far the worst pain of the entire procedure.

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

michele1
on 7/31/15 3:25 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Had  mine repaired along with lapband removal and revision to the sleeve......my pain was between and in the area where the two larger insisions are (one was for port removal). I didn't experience much pain in the stomach area

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Bufflehead
on 7/31/15 4:04 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I had a small hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve surgery. I didn't have any pain or soreness that felt attributable to the hernia repair. I had barely any pain at all other than the drain site (because a nurse jabbed a nerve when reinserting it) and the gas pain for the first day or so. Plus my acid reflux was cured so it was great and I am very glad my surgeon took care of it!

E_Saenz
on 7/31/15 4:23 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Thanks everyone for the great replies I appreciate it so much I hope I don't have issues i need to be sleeved and well so i can get back to work.

Elia Maria Saenz

Ihearttennis
on 8/1/15 7:44 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time.  I was released in 24hours to go home and had a bit of nausea right after the surgery.  The worst pain was from the gas, so make sure you get up and move around.  Even rocking in a chair is helpful to expel the gas.  I don't believe the hernia made my recovery any harder.  the first day home I thought, "What the hell did I do to myself?"   By day three I went to lunch with friends and drank my broth.  By week two I was back to playing tennis, albeit not very well!

Good luck!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

E_Saenz
on 8/1/15 8:10 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Please add me as your friend i sent a request I will be needing support after my surgery thanks in advance.

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 8/1/15 8:03 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Thanks so much for the rocking chair idea because I am having trouble with my knee I'm so thankful for this advise because I was wondering what I was going to do about getting moving around a bit.  Very appreciated advise!

Elia Maria Saenz

Bufflehead
on 8/1/15 8:32 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I want to second the advice for using a rocker or glider. It is even better if you can cross your arms over your torso and lean forward in the chair as you rock forward, then lean back as you rock back. It really helps a lot.

E_Saenz
on 8/1/15 8:34 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Thanks every bit of advice is welcome I'm gonna need it.

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views