I can't see it

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/31/16 9:20 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It's possible that at your heavier weight you gave off a vibe that said leave me alone & now you're giving off a I'm much happier & approachable now vibe. It could be that you never noticed it before. 

It takes awhile for the head to catch up to what your body looks like now. I know for me that's still a struggle sometimes. Especially when shopping for clothes. I'll still saunter over to the plus size/ bigger clothes cuz in my mind I'm still that heavy person. 

You're not alone 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Donna L.
on 1/31/16 3:00 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This happens to me all the time.  I have lost about 120 now since June 1st (surgery was June 22nd) and I now weigh 304 - so close to under 300! - but I feel like not much has changed.  I can move around so much more, but I need a total knee replacement that I can't get for about 120 pounds, so I still limp and it makes me self-conscious.  I was still wearing 4-5x clothes and my counselor was like, Donna go buy some damn clothes!  Heh.  I was able to buy a 2-3x in the store which I haven't done for years.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sandra F.
on 2/1/16 5:53 am

It has taken me over a year to really see what I have accomplished.  I too did not see the changes, even though everyone was telling me that I had changed.  It was hard for me, who has been obese most of my life, to now see the semi-skinny girl in the mirror.  You will get there.  Give yourself time.  I also have issues with the way overweight or obese people are treated--it isn't right.  Nobody is less of a person just because they have some extra weight, and nobody should be made to feel that way either.  Good luck to you on your weight loss.

handtlkr
on 2/1/16 6:36 am - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

Likely, when you were struggling with walking, your head was always down and you never looked people in the eyes to allow them to approach you. You're probably walking a lot more erect and able to look people face to face, so that does make you much more approachable. 

Buy yourself one or two outfits at the smaller size, and you'll start seeing yourself smaller. A colleague of mine suggested that to me, because my clothes were starting to fall off, especially if I put my phone or keys in my pants pocket.  When I bought my first pair of pants, two sizes smaller than I was used to, I thought, "You'll never get your butt in that!" But they fit and I do look a lot smaller even to me, as a result. Measuring myself helps to get my head-image in a more favorable state as well.  I look at what I was measuring, to what I am measuring now and am amazed that this weight is falling off like that so quickly, when, for 30 years I struggled to lose a single pound or inch.  I held up my new pants to my former pants and am very pleased with the differences now, and know I will be even more so by the time I reach my goal. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/1/16 2:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Count me in as one of the people who dealt with the "mirror doesn't match the head" syndrome.

It may help to talk to a therapist to work through some of the self-image stuff. If you can't find someone with experience helping bariatric patients, you can try looking for a counselor with experience in eating disorders-- the headwork is often similar.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/1/16 5:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

What I found most disconcerting was that it took FOREVER for me to go down a clothing size.  The reason is they make clothing for the MO very stretchy so they can accommodate us for a very long time.

I remember going into Costco and buying a pair of jeans.  I wasn't sure I was small enough to fit into a size 24. When I brought them home and tried them on, they were too big!  I returned them for a size 20 which fit.  My eyes and my body aren't in sync even now.  I get nervous when I have to squeeze past someone or something, thinking that I'll bump into them and take them with me.  But I don't.  My body is much more easy to maneuver these days.

It will come.  It takes time.  Yes, people will treat you differently, but the reason can be for many things.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Mane2016
on 2/2/16 12:52 pm

Hi Judith,

It will take time. Although I have not had my VSG yet, I can relate but I'll leave it to my next paragraph. It is difficult to shed the person you have seen in the mirror all of your life. But I promise you, that little by little, that person will not show up in the mirror any more. I promise you that it will pass. Keep doing what you are doing. The closer and closer you get to your goal , the more and more you will see the new you in the mirror. Remember, you just had your surgery a few weeks ago. It is all still new, and an emotional roller coaster is expected. Take it one day at a time and take time to look in the mirror and tell yourself how good you look. Take time to thank yourself for what you have accomplished and for having the courage to do what you did for yourself. Also remember that some of your feelings are a result of hormonal changes that your body is experiencing as a result of the surgery, new diet etc.  Its is all for the better. Hang in there because it will pass. I know many people who have had VSG or Gastric Bypass who have experienced what you are going through. Be positive and stay focused.  

In my case, about 8 years ago I went from a size 16 to a size 6 in a period of 5 months. It was the best time of my life and I kept it off for about 4 years. Even though I was able to wear whatever I wanted in a size small or medium, inevitably, every time I looked in the mirror, I always saw the big girl I used to be.  I always went to the large and extra large section and I always felt undeserving of compliments.  I realized that while I was small on the outside, I was still big on the inside. Now I have the opposite issue. I had become used to my new skinny self when I started to regain weight  from pregnancy and now that I'm obese again, I feel like I'm in denial such that I look in the mirror and see the skinny girl, but I can't fit into my clothes. Instead of gravitating toward the big clothes that I fit inot, I go toward the small clothes which I can't fit into anymore.  So you see, its all in the mind and it will catch up. Your mind will go where it needs to go. Give it a chance to catch up with your new body and your eyes.  

You look great!!! Keep it up. I will be following in your footsteps shortly.  

L. 68
on 2/2/16 2:33 pm

when i got the band 10 years ago and lost 75 lbs went from a size 20 down to size loose 12 (im 5'9) i still went to the stores and pick up size xl or L    pants i would bring in dressing room from size 16 to a 12 it took me so long to get use to being a loose 12 that i couldn't get rid of my size 20 still didn't , i put them in the closet that nobody uses lol .

It will take a little time just enjoy..

Rblain 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views