No goal weight?!?!

NYMom222
on 3/9/16 9:58 am, edited 3/9/16 9:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc doesn't give goal weights, they are a funny thing. If you go read my OH blog I detail going for body fat testing and deciding on a goal weight. My first one I had chosen was much lower and the new one, After BF testing it was much higher than I thought. BMI charts are a starting place but don't always work for those who have been MO. What started making me rethink was when I kept telling people I still had 40lb to lose to get to the top of my BMI....They were like no way....which I took, with a grain of salt until someone at a support group did say "look at your collar bones" ... made me realize I needed to figure it out and the body fat testing really helped. 

Edited for typos and to make sense :)

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ireadalot2
on 3/9/16 10:15 am

At 5'9, I personally would be going for a goal weight of 150-170 or so. As a PP suggested, you would ideally be in the NORMAL BMI range, not overweight and certainly not obese. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/16 8:56 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

My surgeon suggests a goal weight but it is not set in stone so my conversation with him about goal weight went approximately like this.

Surgeon: How much do you ultimately want to weigh?

Me: I don't know I've never not been overweight. I've never weighed under 240lbs as an adult (over 18)

S: Well I don't think bmi charts are 100% right because they don't take into account muscle mass or fitness level, but you'd want to be 150 of under if we go by the bmi chart for your height.

M: I'd be happy at max 170 if I was active an felt good.

S: Well that sounds good me to if your labs are good and you stay active.

Since then I've revised to say I want to be 140-150lbs in case I have bounce back though I'm trying very hard to prevent that and am very cognizant that it could happen. We'll see where I get, I'm 3 months out from surgery and I'm down 50 lbs since and 75 lbs total since my consult first week of October last year. I now weigh what I did end of my junior year of high school so even though I am not at goal I am happy as a clam so far. 

happyteacher
on 3/11/16 3:40 pm

At first, I set it too high- realized that after a bit. Set it to a normal bmi. I think at first I was afraid to set myself up to fail, but realized later that I am such a goal oriented person that I needed to set it for what deep down I knew I really wanted. That meant 194, which barely put me at the normal bmi range. Sitting at 181 this morning, and it is a nice weight for me. I am ok even with it up to 195, but oddly just 5 pounds after that I and I am feeling chubby and sluggish. Keep working at it, and it will chip away pound by pound. :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views