beef

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 10:27 am - Canada

That's what my program is saying and I don't understand why. I've done some reading to learn if ground beef is harder to digest then ground chicken or turkey and I'm left with that it all depends on the quality of beef...otherwise just the same.

FuturePinUp
on 3/15/16 6:06 am

I was able to eat ground beef from the get-go, but had to wait a month post-op to do steak or cold cuts. Even then, I chose very tender cuts like filet mignon. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Daelcare
on 3/15/16 6:45 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I ate ribeye at 3 weeks out (the day the doc said I could have soft foods...it was soft!)  Not much of it, but it sure was good!!  17 months out I still can't eat more than about 3 ounces...don't expect I'll ever get back to the 46 ounces I used to be able to eat!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Pamela M.
on 3/15/16 8:16 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I agree with Kairk and I did exactly what he suggested - I ate thinly sliced Boars Head deli roast beef.  It was delicious and never gave me any problems.  Tiny, tiny bites chewed thoroughly.  I am 19 months post-op and there's nothing that I cannot eat.  Rich (creamy) food and sugar will make me feel nauseous if I eat too much of it so naturally, I avoid those foods.  Good luck!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Bufflehead
on 3/15/16 8:40 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

For my program, the issue wasn't red meat vs. white meat, it was preparation and texture.

Puree stage: beef is fine as long as it gets pureed in a food processor (just like other meats)

Soft foods stage: beef is fine as long as it is soft enough that you can easily cut it with a fork (just like other meats). So that meant, basically, ground beef or very well-stewed tender little bits of beef.

I never had any problem with beef -- but then again I have a sleeve of steel that can handle just about anything* I throw in it with no issues.

*exceptions: carbonated drinks and bread with yeast are both super-uncomfortable for me. Everything else is fine and has always been fine.

betterme2014
on 3/15/16 10:29 am - Canada

thanks everyone for your feedback!

I did eat some beef and it went well. It was soft and chewed well. It was stewed beef that was in the slow cooker for the day. It sat well also. I liked it better then chicken and turkey that's for sure!

jimbivens
on 3/15/16 6:09 pm - Northwest, LA
Revision on 03/01/16

I'm not there yet, but at 4 weeks I'm allowed ground beef...4 months before steak or roast. 

kyzze
on 3/16/16 8:37 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I started eating beef as soon as I was on solid food with no problems. Just try some while you are at home on a day when you don't have anything else planned that way if it does not agree with you and you start to feel bad atleast you will be at home where you can rest, that's what I always do whenever I incorporate new foods, it is all trial and error since everyone's body is different.

NYMom222
on 3/16/16 6:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Everyone is different. From the beginning...like as soon as I was on solids... beef has always been the easiest dense protein for me to eat. Had a small steak tonight :) I still can't eat cold cuts, and some people rely on them all the time. It is very individual. When I first tried, I remember cutting it up like the size of a pencil eraser.....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Eggface
on 3/20/16 11:37 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I was cleared for everything (except the obvious stuff of course) at 8 weeks... I did better with steak dipped in something (Greek yogurt based dips, etc.) than ground beef... some people are the opposite. I had low sodium roast beef often in the first few months I made roll-ups and cucumber "sandwiches." The only meats I really have issues with are pork... has to be super juicy/moist... otherwise it sits like a brick for a few hours after a bit or 2.

Most foods will be trial and error and then... don't give up on them... sometimes it's just the cooking method or off day... or timing... try again in a month and usually it'll work out.

Good Luck. Jealous of your freezer.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op