Gained 50lbs and miserable

wendylm
on 4/18/11 2:20 am - Benton, AR
I had surgery in Jan 06 and lost 96lbs.  I have now gained back 50lbs.  I start a new diet every morning and go to bed depressed every night, because I have over eaten.  I am at a loss and it is affecting my daily life.  I have gone from a med shirt to back to buying in the womens section at the clothing stores.  Help!!
LovelyLoser
on 4/18/11 3:16 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Sweetie, Don't beat yourself up too much.  It happens! We knew going in that this wasn't a "cure". We have to work it.  What surgery did you have? You can do this! Get back to the basics of a post surgery diet;  protein and lots and lots of water. Have you had a check up lately? I wonder if there's an underlying physical cause of regain? Might be worth a check.
wendylm
on 4/18/11 3:20 am - Benton, AR
The underlying  problem is that I eat too much, over eat at night and just generally eat bad.  I am an emotional eater, happy or sad I reach for food.  I am reading about the 5 day pouch test now and will start it tomorrow.  I just found it online and have never done it before.  This has to get better!!  Thanks for your post.
severman
on 4/18/11 7:11 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I've been where you are!  Be thankful you are doing something about it now before it becomes the whole 96 pounds!  I am 8 years post op and regained 90 pounds from a combination of steroids and poor eating habits.  I have been able to lose all but about 25 of those pounds by watching what I eat and exercising.  I encourage you to check with you doctor and then get back to the basics.  Also what has helped me the most was finding an accountability partner.  My neighbor is mine and she keeps me motivated!  If it weren't for her I wouldn't have made my daily 2 mile walk.  I was in the mood to say forget it!  Wishing you the best of luck and sending lots of encouragement!

Stephanie E
slamb
on 4/19/11 4:21 am - Springtown, TX
Stephanie,

Hang in there girl. I, too, have gained weight. I think for so long we thought we'd never have to worry about being fat again...we kinda were in denial about it. Now it has reared its ugly head. I've gained about twenty pounds at three years out. For months I ate like a pig. I am also an emotional eater. My husband left me very shortly after the bypass and married a woman about four hundred pounds! I think I sabotaged my weightloss because I wanted him back and I was so depressed. Then I got used to eating whatever I wanted and didn't gain. It was like magic. Then all of a sudden, bam! I am gaining all the time even though I am not cheating and am exercising. I keep telling myself that my metabolism is tough. It took four months inititally for me to lose a pound. So it may take longer this time of NOT eating and being faithful to the plan. We are addicts. We have to face that. Have you had any counseling? I have and it was great to help me deal with the emotional part of this journey. It is not something you can fix alone; otherwise you would have already done it. Right! We will support each other. Chins up. At least you are not back at square one!

Sheila
Kim S.
on 4/19/11 6:56 am - Helena, AL
You've stated that you are an emotional eater.  I recommend you get some help identifying your triggers and creating a game plan of activities to substitute for eating when you are feeling a certain way.  We all knew going into this that we had to permanently change our lifestyles, and that change includes regular exercise.

Are you exercising?  You must get cardio and weight training into your regular routine.  Building muscle will make your metabolism so much better and the exercise releases endorphins that make you feel better.

You've done this before and you can do it again.  Make it a priority in your life.  YOU are worth it.  No cupcake or cookie is worth feeling the way you feel.  Now get off your hiney and put on your sneakers and go for a walk.

Wishing you the best,

Kim

Lisanelson_2
on 4/19/11 9:06 am - Salt Lake City, UT
 I am 11 years post-op and slipped back as well.   We didn't become morbidly obese because we had the inate willpower to make the best decisions with respect to food.   What got me back on track was to give up the sugar and hidden calories, because my pouch was still working to some extent, as long as I didn't "snack" it out.   About two years after my surgery I couldn't stop constantly wanting to "snack".   I would suggest take your vitamins so that craving isn't an issue, make sure your pouch hasn't been stretched out by keeping volumes small (I would do a liquid only couple of days like I was post-op to get back on track) , and no sugar.   It's a lifetime adjustment and you are constantly learning how to deal.   Best of luck - give yourself a break!
DebinSNJ
on 4/20/11 4:05 am - Bridgeton, NJ
I am 6 years post op this July and have also been dealing with a weight gain of 35 pounds.  When you look at the big picture, I was 346 pre op and got down to 179 -- I lost an entire person!  Now, the 35 pounds are staring me in the face as if I'd gained back all 167!  To me, its still a gain -- and feels like a failure.  I have to jump on the vitamin bandwagon.  I know it was preached to us left and right, shoved down our throats but I didnt listen.  I just basically didnt take any.  About a month ago, I decided (after a friend who was also 6 years post op almost died from being severly anemic) to begin the vitamin regiment. 
I went out, bought one of those pill containers and every day I take my vitamins, b12, mutli, iron and calcium.  Guess what -- it made all the difference.  I dont feel the need to eat 24-7, I have more energy, memory is back and Ive lost a few pounds.  Its given me the jump start to get myself back on track again. 
This surgery was a tool --- and the weight loss a gateway to a better life, we need to take advantage of that tool and open the gateway back to the gift we've been given.
Good luck in your journey, be strong, you can do it!

Peace,
Deb

346/208/160
HW/CW/GW
BOTT 10-20-10
Remember to Breathe!

DailyMae123
on 4/20/11 11:39 am
I'm 8 years out - have gained 15 lbs.  I've been trying to lose it for the past 3+ years.  For cryin out loud anyhow!!!  I feel as fat now as I did at full weight.  Unless I'm standing in front of a mirror it really feels the same.  I hate it.  Wouldn't you think that was enough to get me to stay on the straight and narrow?  nope, it isn't.  I don't really eat a lot of bad stuff.  I just don't eat enough of the good stuff.  I can live on popcorn and candy - no problem.  One saving grace is that the popcorn is air popped - no oil- and I use fake spray butter.  However, a whole bowl is probably 500 calories.  I just can't seem to get there.

wendylm
on 4/21/11 1:09 am - Benton, AR
Thank You all for your wonderful words and suggestions.  I started the 5 day pouch test on Tue so today I get to eat Tuna and Eggs, YEA!!  I am glad to know I am not alone.  Sometimes I feel like I am the only one that has let herself get this way.  The fact that I paid 17K for my surgery and am still paying it off should have stopped me from putting the wrong thing in my mouth but.........here I am.

Wendy
Most Active
Recent Topics