calories??

kawkbw
on 2/5/12 9:10 am - MA

I'm 3 years out and have gotten lazy..  Getting myself back on track and back to basics.  Just wondering how manu calories should I be having and how much protein?  Thanks

Dawnyel B.
on 2/5/12 9:38 am - Whittier, CA
I'm wondering the same thing. I had VSG (Gastric Sleeve) and I got lazy after having 2 kids, and getting pregnant 11 months post op.

I started eating better today, trying to keep my carbs below 40 and up my protein. As of right now I'm at 26 net carbs and 122g protein. 1247 calories.

I'm really not sure how much we should be eating, but I've been looking at the accountability posts and kind of going off that. I go to the VSG forum but it seems like everyone is >1yr out. No help there!

I'd really like to know how many calories I need to burn fat.

Not the Same Dawn
on 2/5/12 9:54 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I'll step out here and say it's really not a set number for everyone..It's different for each of us. Some have to stay down around 1000-1200 calories. I usually stick between 1500 and 1800 for a day..I don't much follow my calories but I make an effort to keep my protein over 100 and keep my carbs under that unless they're vegetative (fruits, veggies..) ..and then I don't stress too much about it.

I would say journal your foods and see where you are right now..and then adjust it. Increase your protein and switch out your white carbs for the veggie or fruit kind and see what it does..then move more..exercise is really important.
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Leslie P.
on 2/5/12 10:01 am - Yucca Valley, CA
 I have been seeing a nutritionist until about 2-3 months ago.  She was having me stay around 1600 calories and wanted me to keep my carbs around 30 grams a meal.  I have always tried to keep my protein around 80 - 100 grams.  

If you look at my accountability posts my calories are pretty consistent at the target (except on weekends) and the carbs go a little higher.  I am okay with the higher carbs as they are whole grains, fruits and veggies.  I do eat real butter and on occassion stuff like alfredo sauce - all weighed and measured.  I don't diet and have approached this as a way of life.  

So far i have lost 8 pounds of the 20 i had regained.  It is definately going slower than it did when I was fresh from surgery, but I am pretty confident if I keep doing what seems to work everything will work out the way it's supposed to.  What I do know is that I feel great - lots of energy, attitude is good, clothes feel great.

High Weight:  394                     Surgery Weight:  345

Here's to never forgetting where I came from so I never have to return...
jlmartin
on 2/6/12 1:46 am - Random Lake, WI
Everyone is going to have a different calorie target.  I started with 1500 and now am around 2000.  Bodies are just different as is activity level.

Once you know that, I would suggest no more than 40% of calories from Carbs.  The zone 40/30/30 proportions are nice; but, again bodies are different.

Hey, nothing wrong with butter!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/12 8:34 am

The calories are tricky..  It is not really "calories in - calories out = gain or loss..."
And some numbers for calories are also not really correct.

Check:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/1lb-does-not-equal- 3500-calories/

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/a-calorie-i s-not-a-calorie.aspx

and so on.

I can eat a lot of food... and not gain or lose.  But if I add more carbs - even complex I will gain. Even on low calories. Same with wine... if I drink wine - but keep my calories low - I may maintain or gain.
And there is the type of food.  Some food promotes theromgenics (heat) and will increase metabolism, while other food - may promote storage of calories. 

Low carb, low sugar diet - but higher in fat and proteins - (like Atkins) may reduce appetite and insulin response by the body and promote weight loss.  
On top of that - everyone is different. What works for one person - may not work some someone else.

And there is the "calorie set point"  If you provide your body with some (or close) calories very day - the body will adapt and may stop losing all together.  Some people swear by calorie cycling.  Low calories, followed by a day or 2 of higher.... and so on... To trick the body to think that it can burn what you provide because more is coming.  

In my case: I am 5'4, 160 lbs, size 6 Proportional build (large body frame , muscles). I do need a lot of proteins - 120-150 (still malabsorb) and some fat.  I do try to keep my carbs under net 40- 60 for the day.  I do try to eat 6 meals + a day.  And try to eat as much "real home type food: plus 1-2 protein shakes.   Limit fruits and starchy veggies. Avoid most grains.    No sugar and use stevia s sugar substitute.
Light exercise - not too much, just to maintain my muscles.  Eat 1000-1800 cal per day.  On that - I do slowly lose.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/12 8:38 am

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kawkbw
on 2/7/12 10:52 am - MA
 Thank you!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics