6 years post surgery & losing too much Help

li3Ruch
on 4/16/12 1:05 pm
I'm 6 years post surgery. I am 5'8" tall and down to about 118 lbs. In 2009 I was at 145 and trying so hard to get the last "dream 10" off. It just started coming off. Then it started coming off faster. Especially the last three months. I have had tests on my thyroid, all vitamin levels, etc. The only thing off is my glucose, which is a little low & my Vitamin D is low. Doc prescribed Vitamin D.

I am not suffering from malnutrition as all my levels are good. I am eating VERY frequently and have really upped my eating the last 3 months to try to just maintain weight. You can see every bone in my body, my sternum, my tailbone is the boniest thing ever, it looks horrible.

I see my original surgeon in a few weeks. He is really good. I was out of state before. All blood tests just redone a few weeks ago and also visited an endocrinologist per my family doc, where he gave me a thumbs up on no thyroid issues as well.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Beth   
                         ~ 245/160/135 (HW/CW/DW) ~ 

(Highest Weight, Current Weight, Dream Weight)  

I am a healthy BMI now and so I am happy.  I haven't decided yet where my comfort point is for maintaining.  I'm trying to lose more, but I may find out that causes me to have more restrictive daily diet and excercise habits than what I am comfortable with long-term.  It's all about choices!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/17/12 1:46 am
You may need to up your proteins and fat and carbs.   And even (gasps) drink while eating.
Another - is to try to add digestive enzymes while you eat.  That way - your body may be able to absorb more . That worked for a friend of mine.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Miss Liss
on 4/17/12 6:37 am
If all of your bloodwork and all other tests indicate that all is well with your health, then I would think you are one of the few who has extreme malabsorption.  From what I have read, when this happens, there are digestive enzymes you can take to help you to absorb more of what you eat.  I am not sure of what exact enzymes these are, but you may go over to the DS board and find out as I have read about the enzymes over there.  Good luck.  I hope you get it figured out soon. 
Not the Same Dawn
on 4/17/12 12:39 pm - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I haven't had that problem but I do lose weight involuntarily when I'm stressed..no matter how much I eat..The only advice my surgeon gave me when I reached 122 (goal of 125) was to eat more..great! So I have to eat every couple of hours..six meals a day..I didn't want to start any bad habits like drinking with my meals so I just eat two breakfasts, two lunches (or split a big lunch in half and eat twice)..and dinner with a nice healthy snack like popcorn or something..I'm  getting in from 1300 to 2000 calories a day (averaging about 1500 a day) to maintain.

I hope you get it resolved..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Most Active
Recent Topics