4y Post GBP- Weight Gain Shaaammmmmeeeee

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/13 2:49 am - VA

We sound a lot a like.  My surgery was in 2001, highest weight 373 and lowest 109.  My doctor also told me to gain weight and like you, I have.  Currently, I weigh 170, which makes me OBESE again at my height, 5'2".   I also got to a size 0 and I would give anything to get into my 6, 8, and 10's.  I'm ready for a 12 but REFUSE to buy them.  I much rather use a pony tail band to give me a couple of inches than to allow myself to buy 12's. 

We've both come such a long way and here we are.  This is a place we'll always need and hopefully we can continue to help each other reach our goals.

I SO UNDERSTAND you and wish you the very best!  My biggest problem is not drinking eight glasses of water.  I work full time now and who has the time to use the rest room every hour or two?  I sure don't!

Hugs, we CAN and WILL DO this!

Betty

fernfrog
on 5/29/13 1:50 pm - CA

Thank you Betty!

skatie
on 5/30/13 12:39 am - NJ

I am in the same place.  I had my surgery VSG in Dec 2010 and lost about 100 pounds.  I have gained 47 back in the last 18 months.  I need help also. 

fernfrog
on 5/30/13 2:26 am - CA

I feel your pain girl! It's a horrible feeling and being here is probably the best place we can all be. I'm trying to journal in myfitpal and then look at the Back on Track Together (BOTT) group here daily. I'm thinking about doing a pouch test to cleanse it all and start fresh.

The whites are like a drug to me! I certainly know that is my problem.  Hang in there SKATIE!

skatie
on 5/30/13 2:41 am - NJ
No pasta, potatoes, bread or pizza but I do find myself grabbing chips, pretzels, crackers or cookies. I need to stop the empty calories. I really do not eat duri g the day which is bad

fernfrog
on 5/30/13 4:09 am - CA

I started that way, I convinced myself baked chips or pretzels were better, then a little whole wheat bread, then I intro'd candy back into my diet! After that it was downhill. I agree, empty calories are the worst thing ever. I need to remember about eating to live. Not living to eat.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/13 4:39 am

Regain after WLS feels worse than gaining pre-op! I gained some 5-ish pounds (enough to make my clothes snug) and while that doesn't sound like much, I never lost all the weight I wanted (I'm a size 14, not a size 0 or 2 like some of y'all!) for whatever reason and so even a little gain really matters alot to me. I'm currently the biggest I'd ever want to be.

Anyhow, just going back to the pouch rules, keeping to 50 carbs a day in the form of low glycemic fruits and vegetables, and exercising 5 days a week (nothing drastic) I lost 3lbs and I know it wasn'****er. It's currently TOM so I quit weighing until next week. I wasn't sure I could lose anything at all... I have insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue, estrogen dominance and possibly hypothyroid though the former can definitely mimic it and likewise, my chronically low iron levels can drag down thyroid function over time. I'm way out of shape from dealing with the low iron. I quit exercising for 6 months. Hence the tighter clothes but with no actual weight gain on the scale. Less muscle mass equals lower metabolism. Like I need it any lower! I already have the perfect storm of nonexistent metabolism.

I can't tell you how beneficial quitting carbs has been on all levels. I was miserable doing extremely low carb of 20-30g a day, but 50g a day with 1 day a week of 80g seems to be working nice for me. Nothing comes from grains anymore. I tried some grains the other day because of cravings, and one piece of wheat bread had some very unpleasant effects on me including nausea, headache and feeling like my gut was being shredded. Lots of us end up with reactive hypoglycemia, I did, and that's entirely controlled now too. Between controlling my weight and blood sugar as well as my appetite (I hardly have one) AND even controlling my PMS and estrogen dominance symptoms (to a degree) I have no incentive to want grains anymore. They are bad bad bad for me. You might discover the same for you.

Scoobydoobydoo
on 6/5/13 6:15 am - KETTERING, United Kingdom

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me replying to your plea for help.

I too am in a similar situation, had a gastric bypass in 2010, lost a whole load of weight then after a year or so started to regain bad habits.

I am now 50 pounds up and so fed up with myself. Giving myself a really hard time and am miserable so hoping I can join you guys in getting back to basics.

Good Luck to you all

Leanne x

Ladytazz
on 6/8/13 3:08 pm

I am concerned about your ice habit.  Have you had labs recently?  I've heard that eating ice can be a sign of anemia.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

fernfrog
on 7/8/13 3:46 pm - CA

Just wanted to reply. Yes, labs and I have anemia and I'm seeing a hematologist. I'll get better. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics